Edinburgh to Aberdeen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Can anyone recommend the best route to take please
Just had a quick look. Choices, choices..
If ee,
I'd just follow the Sustrans routes North.
Certainly not direct but I certainly wouldn't be on the main road north from Dundee.

NCN 1 from Forth Road Bridge, up to Kinross, then over to Newport on Tay, across the Tay Road Bridge and there is a
NCN route N to Aberdeen.
I'm winging it here on memory:okay:

A nice diversion is through Perth then back along the Carse to Dundee.(avoid a windy day , like I didn't)

Go to one of the route creation sites, I use plotaroute...HERE

Hopefully a local may be able to help.
If you need any other help, just PM me.

I rode the opposite way a few years back (Inverness to Newcastle) on two seperate occasions, using two seperate routes.
I preferred over Forth road bridge onto the 76(766) through Kircaldy and Glenrothes then join the NCN 1 to St Andrews (stayed at the most wonderful b & b in Straithkiness just outside of St Andrews) then stay on the no 1 all the way up the coast.This way you also get to cross the Tay bridge as mentioned above.
We also came down through Perth which was ok as well.
Loads of options, check out the map linked below.
Again though, there may be some locals with better routes than the ones I know.
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/route-1

Shinnie3

I am relatively fit and cycle every day to work (15 minutes so not very long admittedly) and have fancied the route up to Aberdeen.

I have no experience of long distance cycling apart from weekend 30ish mile long rides maybe once a month.

If I follow the susttrans route is it plausible for me to ride it in a day? Or is it simply too far to tackle given my lack of long distance experience? What tips would you give me?

Cheers

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I am relatively fit and cycle every day to work (15 minutes so not very long admittedly) and have fancied the route up to Aberdeen.

I have no experience of long distance cycling apart from weekend 30ish mile long rides maybe once a month.

If I follow the susttrans route is it plausible for me to ride it in a day? Or is it simply too far to tackle given my lack of long distance experience? What tips would you give me?

Cheers

Google shows the most direct cycling route as 135 miles - that's a fair distance to cover in a day.
Is the Sustrans route all paved, or is it like down here in Yorkshire where bits are on road connected to other bits that are on bridleways fit only for MTBs after a bit of rain? That could make a big difference.

Shinnie3

Google shows the most direct cycling route as 135 miles - that's a fair distance to cover in a day.
Is the Sustrans route all paved, or is it like down here in Yorkshire where bits are on road connected to other bits that are on bridleways fit only for MTBs after a bit of rain? That could make a big difference.

From what I can tell it's the tarmacked path/ road all the way.

I mean it would be one hell of a challenge. I have never tested myself long distance so don't know what the issues I could run into physically i.e. fatigue etc. Like would my body just give up?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
From what I can tell it's the tarmacked path/ road all the way.
http://cycle.travel/map shows unpaved (green) sections of NCN1 from Kinloss to Wester Balgedie, East Haven to Arbroath and a couple of miles north of Montrose. Geograph photos suggest that the first is grey stone track and are inconclusive about the others.

I mean it would be one hell of a challenge. I have never tested myself long distance so don't know what the issues I could run into physically i.e. fatigue etc. Like would my body just give up?
Probably not, as long as you're reasonably healthy, comfortable on the bike and kept yourself fed and watered. You'd probably find the last 20ish miles very tough and may feel drained for a few days afterwards, though. I'd do a few 50s, a 75 or two and at least one 100 beforehand if there's chance, though - or more likely, I'd stop over in Dundee and ride over two days.

Shinnie3

Think I'm gonna hold fire on going all the way up until I'm more prepared.

Going to cycle to St Andrews or Dundee and hop on a train North from there instead.

Cheers for the advice!!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I did a 100-mile bike ride last month and, while I regularly do 30-50 mile rides on a weekend, it was hard work - we got round but I was cream crackered for a couple of days afterwards. And that was all on roads on road bikes - any off roading is likely to be much harder work.

Top Bottom