Edinburgh - what to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Big Bren

Big Bren

Thank you all!

So far, I've booked the posh hotel and a spooky vault tour for the Friday night, leaving Friday afternoon for some sightseeing; I like Alecstill's idea of South Queensferry for a nice romantic coastal walk. Points taken about coats btw - I'll be sure to pack them!

Saturday morning will be a shopfest; Mrs B is in the market for a new handbag, so I will dutifully oblige. After lunch, we'll wander the city and take in as many of your recommendations as possible. I have theatre tickets for Saturday night, so that takes care of itself. Sunday morning will be leisurely, before heading home for a scenic drive. I won't mention or look at a bike all weekend. Neither will I get up early and go for a run.

Another question; anyone recommend a really good veggie-friendly restaraunt for the Sat night??

Bren

purpleR

Guru
Yes remember your coats, don't take a brolly though, it will be destroyed by the wind.

Maybe Bann's on Hunter Square for a good veggie restaurant? Haven't been there for a few years now though. There's also David Bann on St Mary's Street. Both of these are in the Old Town.

k-dog

Bin the whole Edinburgh thing and go to Glasgow instead. It's not full of tourists and there are better museums, art galleries, restaraunts and pubs.

Yeah, but it's full of Glaswegians.

I would recommend a trip to Craigmillar Castle too - Edinburgh Castle is interesting and huge and full of stuff but Craigmillar Castle is different. Smaller and not as grand but well worth a look - way cheaper too. Slight problem is that it is in Craigmillar which isn't the best area - but in the daytime it's fine - that's before about 4:30 at the moment.

Those vault tours are okay - good stories and stuff. I always find the underground bit itself a bit disappointing.

gavintc

Guru
The Edinburgh Road Club leave the Commonwealth Pool between 0930 and 1000 on Sat mornings if you are finding the stress of being together a little much.

Edinburgh is full of stunningly good things to see. We had some friends up last weekend and just walked around the main streets, visited the Castle, had a good meal out etc.

Noodley

Big Bren said:
Thank you all!

Another question; anyone recommend a really good veggie-friendly restaraunt for the Sat night??

Bren

I would second "Banns" as a good veggie restaurant - or it was the last time I was there which was a year or two ago.

Top Bottom