Edinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, im Kevin, 30 from Edinburgh.

Just got my first bike since I was about 12 an liking it, been cycling from Gorebridge to Edinburgh (9 - 10 miles) sometimes returning so 20 miles.

Planning on doing the Edinburgh to Falkirk route and back but looking at getting a new bike but unsure what to get as I am inexperienced on a bike.

Currently riding a Specialized Hardrock Pro which I bought for £100 off my mate.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi Kevin and welcome to cycle chat from Glasgow :hello:
Can't advice you on the new bike, as I only ride tanks at 5mph :smile: more knowledgeable folks will be along soon.
Can however advice you on the canal route Edinburgh to Falkirk, it is rough :B) get yourself a good pair of padded shorts or go on the road instead.
For rides in your area and beyond, check out the CC Ecosse friendly rides, a bunch of great guys and girls always up for a ride - there will be cake!!!
However: beware of wording to the effect of "mainly flat, some lumps and bumps, no real hills" :unsure: :laugh:

paul04

Über Member
Welcome to the website Kevin. :hello:

Start a post in the Beginners section about a new bike, :smile:
And state how much you want to spend,
I always say if your a bit unsure go for a hybrid bike, a bit of a mix between a road bike and a mountain bike
And as Pat said, more knowledgeable folks will be along soon

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Hi kevin, and welcome to the site, a good few of our Scottish contingent swear by the triban 3 and 5 which you will be able to go in and see at decathlon at hermiston gate. Both bikes under 500 quid and those on them swear by them as road bikes. Come along to the cc ecosse ride next Saturday going round the forth. Easy route with a cake stop in the middle that will be about 40 miles all in. Yiu will get to meet everyone, and see the bikes in action that I mentioned above.

OP
OP
Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander

Veteran
Thanks for the replies, I have started a thread and think I will be looking at CX bikes, Going to speak to my friend when he is back from hols as he got me in and has been riding for a good few years.
Will check out the link

Louch - Is that a weekly ride as I cant do next week?

Kevin

edindave

Über Member
:welcome: and good luck finding your new bike. CX will be a great all-rounder. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander

Veteran
Im the other side, im out Midlothian which is pretty good for cycling into town (im currently doing 9 mile trip to Fairmilehead and then back again so 18 - 19 miles in total)

edindave

Über Member
Im the other side, im out Midlothian which is pretty good for cycling into town (im currently doing 9 mile trip to Fairmilehead and then back again so 18 - 19 miles in total)

That's an ideal area to be based. So many great routes on your doorstep, and handy for the city too. You'll get to see it all by bike now - totally different perspective - it'll really open your eyes, and keep you fit. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

That's an ideal area to be based. So many great routes on your doorstep, and handy for the city too. You'll get to see it all by bike now - totally different perspective - it'll really open your eyes, and keep you fit. Enjoy! :thumbsup:
Is the big hill better too or from work :wacko: I think I preferred it in the morning and downhill at night so you could get out of the city fast but I cant really compare having never been a south-sider (unless now south of the border counts :ohmy: )

Top Bottom