Edmund King, President of the AA....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
He is indeed a tool. They should stick to fixing cars and selling insurance, and not waste members money getting involved in stuff that does nothing to further their business interests.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I missed the piece but such nonsense is a real disappointment. I'd always felt pretty positive about him because of his concern for cyclist safety. He's generally pretty pro-cyclist.

Joffey

Big Dosser
50mph limits are fine when you see workmen actually working, as a driver I find myself paying more attention when people are wandering around on the side of the carriageway. I think the problem is the miles and miles of 50mph speed limits on works where no one is working. You should be allowed to drive at higher speeds through these unless they are taking you on to the other carriageway for example.

Jimidh

Veteran
Although I agree that the speed limit should be set at what’s the appropriate speed for the road layout / works you will always get tools that drive way to fast for the conditions no matter what the speed limit is.

DRHysted

Guru
I could understand removing the speed limit when the workers are not there if the speed limit is innocent place to protect workers. The most amusing set of works I’ve driven past at 50 was 2 miles of conned off hard shoulder with a portaloo the other side of the crash barrier (not even on the hard shoulder) at the end.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 5007287, member: 45"]And the findings are that drivers were anxious when around bullying, dangerous driving[/QUOTE]

No. The findings, of a very small study, were that drivers had lower heart-rates while driving at higher speeds. The link to dangerous driving is a hypothesis.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Jim O'Sullivan, chief executive of Highways England, told the paper that the 60mph limit was "something that we want to introduce to as many roadworks as possible".

He said: "If we're going to have this volume of roadworks we need to have some serious thought about how we improve the customer experience."

The bold is mine.

Drago

Legendary Member
The BBC story is a bit more complex than King shooting from the hip though. Highways England have carried out trials at higher speeds and are making recommendations based on the findings from them.

Unfortunately, the Wombles have only studied the matter from the road users perspective, and not the safety of the workers. This is a bit daft, as the reason for the limits in the first place was the safety of the road workers.

Tim Hall

50mph limits are fine when you see workmen actually working, as a driver I find myself paying more attention when people are wandering around on the side of the carriageway. I think the problem is the miles and miles of 50mph speed limits on works where no one is working. You should be allowed to drive at higher speeds through these unless they are taking you on to the other carriageway for example.
Setting out the Traffic Management is a risky operation, so having to do it more often is generally a Bad Thing. Which is why you sometimes see "empty" road works.

(Edited to complete the final sentence)

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The BBC story is a bit more complex than King shooting from the hip though. Highways England have carried out trials at higher speeds and are making recommendations based on the findings from them.
...and the story makes it clear that - yes - they have considered road worker safety.

"While Mr King said increasing the speed limit could help reduce congestion, he said it had to be targeted at the longest stretches of road works where there were no workers.

He said: "When work is going on and it's in close proximity to the carriageways we should stick at lower speeds and sometimes it needs to be lower than 50mph, depending on the layout."

Top Bottom