Edmund King, President of the AA....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 5007414, member: 45"]I tend to agree. But then I go on FB.[/QUOTE]
You need a better class of friend.

snorri

Legendary Member
Jim O'Sullivan, chief executive of Highways England, told the paper t..........He said: "I.........we need to have some serious thought about how we improve the customer experience."
I haven't heard the phrase ' improving customer experience' used by transport engineers before, this is a breakthrough, I trust it will extend to include all road users.:whistle:

Tailgating me results in me reducing speed
I appreciate the sentiment of it but it actually makes things worse for everyone behind. Personally I just change lanes.

I actually think driving behaviour has changed as there are more variable speed limits introduced, which are great and in fact what a lot of the recent roadworks are for, new variable speed limit signs. Whining about these things is the first stage of acceptance.

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't think there's any Highways England looniness either. As the BBC report says...

"But Mr O'Sullivan said that lower speeds were likely to be maintained in areas with narrow lanes, contraflows or where workers are close to the road, due to safety reasons.

Highways England has been testing different speed limits since September 2016 as part of a wider initiative to assess the benefits associated with increasing speed limits through roadworks.

Those trials on a section of the M1 near Rotherham and on the A1 between Leeming to Barton examined the safety implications of the scheme as well as the journey-time benefits for drivers travelling through roadworks"

[O'Sullivan is the HE CEO]

So far from basing their conclusions on a single, small survey, Highways England have done some long-term research.

Not terribly balanced research. They investigated the road users perspective down as far as the heartbeats of individual drivers. They don't appear to have researched the safety of road workers down to the macro level, but have rather settled for a review of existing safety data for road workers. Send a load of road workers out wearing heart monitors and they might see a different story unfolding.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It's unfashionable to say so on this site, but motorists are not "the enemy". They're simply people trying to get around the country.
Oh no it isn't. :o)The slightest criticism of people's motoring habits is always greeted with a tide of defensiveness and indignation.

pawl

Legendary Member
50mph limits are fine when you see workmen actually working, as a driver I find myself paying more attention when people are wandering around on the side of the carriageway. I think the problem is the miles and miles of 50mph speed limits on works where no one is working. You should be allowed to drive at higher speeds through these unless they are taking you on to the other carriageway for example.

Just thinking the same thing.Mile upon miles of coned of motorway with nothing happening is very frustrating.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
[QUOTE 5007244, member: 45"]Was just on the BBC arguing that speed limits should be raised at motorway roadworks. The reasons? Apparently loads of trucks tailgate dangerously, and everyone else gets on their phone.

He's an idiot.[/QUOTE]
So people can drive faster whilst looking at their phones?

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
[QUOTE 5007691, member: 45"]His argument seems to be that if you slow people down they start looking at their phones.[/QUOTE]
Probably does to be fair. I think phone usage behind the wheel should be a lifetime ban.

Top Bottom