Edmund King, President of the AA....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 5008819, member: 9609"]it don't get much thicker than this.

so the problem is tail gating lorries and if we can drive at 60 we can out run them - problem is when a car speedo shows 60 it is probably doing about 56. When a truck is on his limiter at 56 he is doing about 56. So the same problem is going to exist but at about 20% faster, so the carnage will probably be about 20% greater.

Why can't they just remove the licences of the morons in lorries that tail gate cars ?[/QUOTE]
Because you're misreporting what's being discussed, and it's already the subject of a thread.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
If we're swapping anecdotes, there were roadworks and a lane closure on the M40 yesterday aroung the Beaconsfield junction. Advisory speed limit only - 50mph - and the traffic slowed down to 50mph.

Reducing from 70 to 50 is very different to reducing from 70 to 30, and I am willing to bet good money that those roadworks on the M40 are signed well in advance, so no one is required to "suddenly" reduce their speed.

You don't drive on motorways much, do you?

Speed cameras - the average speed ones you can't easily evade - are bog-standard along roadworks these days.

Oh are they? Thanks for being patronising.

No, only 200 miles every other weekend for the past 2 years, and 25 miles every Monday for the past 7 years.

Those will be the ones with the signs underneath saying 'Average speed cameras not working'.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
You can easily evade SPECS, generation 1 and 2. I don't intend divulging any tips, but it's nothing Google can't tell you.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'll tell you a good way. Don't drive faster than the posted limit. You can have that one for free.
Man, the stress man, I’m already having palpitations over the thought....

Drago

Legendary Member
I would agree completely, but it seems that view places me very much in a minority when negotiating 50mph limits anywhere, never mind on the super slab.

U

User482

Also, hasn't it been comprehensively proven that raising the speed limit does not reduce congestion? Isn't it generally people driving too close to the car in front that causes congestion on motorways?

In general, increasing speed has the effect of reducing the carrying capacity of the road. Presumably, that's why managed motorways impose a lower limit during busy times.

[QUOTE 5007679, member: 45"]Cost v benefit. Weigh up the cost of installing variable speed limit equipment at every set of roadworks, just to save a bad driver 3 minutes off his journey.[/QUOTE]
Haven't we already spent billions on motorways? Wouldn't it make sense to do our best to keep them running as designed?

You could argue that we don't need an 8 lane bitumen rivers criss-crossing the country, but if we agreed to that we could have saved a lot more than the price of a few electronic signs and batteries.

And while I am here, this hasn't had enough love:
workers are not there if the speed limit is innocent place to protect workers.
(autocorrect, I assume)

J1888

Über Member
Not read the thread but presumably they took into account the fact that people may be less stressed as they don't feel like they're having to go 'slowly' and are not being delayed, hence the lower heartrate?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Not read the thread but presumably they took into account the fact that people may be less stressed as they don't feel like they're having to go 'slowly' and are not being delayed, hence the lower heartrate?
Why don't you read the thread and find out?

Top Bottom