Effect of quick release mechanism on wheel bearing adjustment?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Anyone got any thoughts on this? I've read quite a few times that after adjusting wheel bearings, one should pad out the space on the spindle with washers, install the quick release skewer, close the quick release, and then check for correct bearing adjustment. Does the quick release mechanism really compress the bearings enough to make this additional checking procedure absolutely necessary?

Tim Hall

The late great Sheldon Brown thought so. That's good enough for me. Although I don't think he goes as far as checking in the manner you suggest, just don't do the cones up so tight to start with (although later in the article he talks about a home made tool to load the bearins while leaving the nuts unobstructed).

byegad

Legendary Member
With cone bearings that's the way I was taught by my Fitter and Turner father. He was something of a perfectionist and, like Sheldon Brown's advice, I have always respected his advice on things mechanical.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The phenomenon of the bearings tightening up under the QR is demonstrable.
I undertightened a rear QR once and as a result pulled my rear wheel free when standing up for a steep climb.

I then overreacted and tightened the QR to the extent that the wheel would only turn 3 or 4 times before stopping when given a flick with the wheel off the ground.

Nowadays, I follow the Sheldon Brown method referred to above.

Nebulous

Guru
I had a new set of modest Shimano wheels. Tried spinning them by hand whilst holding the axle and they spun very freely. Put them in the bike tightened the QR and the rear one would barely spin at all. Had to back of the cones a bit and it was fine.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
If you look carefully when tightening the QR you will see it compressing the hub axle.

Top Bottom