Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Bacon & eggs

Votes: 71 72.4%
  • Either sounds right

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Had you considered getting a life?

Votes: 14 14.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But eggs and ham gets 18,000 more hits in the Google corpus of the English language than ham and eggs.
That's not the way to compare usage via google.

This is.

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 18.10.41.jpg

(usage peaked during the war, apparently. Maybe rationing made people write about it a lot more)

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

This is.

View attachment 337330

(usage peaked during the war, apparently. Maybe rationing made people talk about it a lot more)

Blimey, I didn't realise that Google had been around so long... :laugh:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Me either, cant stand the smell

Ok as an ingredient in cake of course :smile:

Agree on both accounts

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member

This is.

View attachment 337330

(usage peaked during the war, apparently. Maybe rationing made people write about it a lot more)
That's amazing. I'd never heard of ngram. Fascinating. The most interesting thing to me about that particular diagram is the way it shows eggs & bacon well ahead right through the 19th century, but suddenly and decisively leap-frogged by bacon & eggs during WWI, which then holds a clear lead right through the 20th century - a lead it's held up to the current day. Could that be American coming into the language with troops sent over during the war?

That's amazing. I'd never heard of ngram. Fascinating. The most interesting thing to me about that particular diagram is the way it shows eggs & bacon well ahead right through the 19th century, but suddenly and decisively leap-frogged by bacon & eggs during WWI, which then holds a clear lead right through the 20th century - a lead it's held up to the current day. Could that be American coming into the language with troops sent over during the war?
Same graph, restricted to British English. Too late on a Sunday to analyse it, so posted without comment.

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 22.33.10.jpg

Top Bottom