Eight Cyclists Killed in Italy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Could we collectively, as a forum, somehow send bouquets of flowers (or something) to the families of the deceased?
I'm being serious. Some gesture of solidarity, some way to offer condolences to fellow cyclists?
Yes, I know I've not thought this through, but it's how I feel right now.

Could we collectively, as a forum, somehow send bouquets of flowers (or something) to the families of the deceased?
I'm being serious. Some gesture of solidarity, some way to offer condolences to fellow cyclists?
+1

Saddle bum

Über Member
[Snip]
Will be interesting what the Italian goverments response will be to this.

I would bet my pension the outcome will be more just than that for the four English cyclists killed a couple of years back. the higher profile of the sport and pastime in Italy should make it a cert.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I would bet my pension the outcome will be more just than that for the four English cyclists killed a couple of years back. the higher profile of the sport and pastime in Italy should make it a cert.
What can the Italian government do? They had already banned the guy from driving and driving under the influence is just as illegal as it is anywhere else. You can legislate all you want, but you can't stop a minority from ignoring motoring or any other law.

Arch

Married to Night Train
What can the Italian government do? They had already banned the guy from driving and driving under the influence is just as illegal as it is anywhere else. You can legislate all you want, but you can't stop a minority from ignoring motoring or any other law.

Well, jailing him would get him off the roads fairly effectively, for a while at least...

As for the pictures, yes they are shocking, but isn't that a good thing? If more people saw scenes like this, it might drive home to them just what a car can do when driven badly. Show stuff like this to every learner driver.

I saw a girl knocked down (but not killed) when I was about 7 or 8. The image of her lying in the road bleeding has stayed with me since, and is probably part of the reason I'm usually the one left behind when a group of friends dash out and take a chance crossing a road.

I suppose the emergency services had a duty to cut the guy out of his car, but I bet some of them wish they could have just keft him there.

RIP the victims. Their poor families...

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Well, jailing him would get him off the roads fairly effectively, for a while at least...

As for the pictures, yes they are shocking, but isn't that a good thing? If more people saw scenes like this, it might drive home to them just what a car can do when driven badly. Show stuff like this to every learner driver.

I saw a girl knocked down (but not killed) when I was about 7 or 8. The image of her lying in the road bleeding has stayed with me since, and is probably part of the reason I'm usually the one left behind when a group of friends dash out and take a chance crossing a road.

I suppose the emergency services had a duty to cut the guy out of his car, but I bet some of them wish they could have just keft him there.

RIP the victims. Their poor families...
Jail will be inevitable.

pedallingpasty

Think its a good idea. Maybe a collective message of condolances from this forum to an italian equivalent forum would be the way to go.
As to the pictures, well they made me stop and think.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maybe a collective message of condolances from this forum to an italian equivalent forum would be the way to go.

Good idea. Do we have an Italian speaker who could identify a forum and compose or translate something?

Peter10

That's what they've just said on the French tv news. I was quite surprised as it was the 2nd item covered!

Possibly because cycling is such a big thing in France? I doubt it will get much coverage in the UK, which is sad because it hits home how much damage someone can cause who isn't fit to be on the road. The pictures from the Mail look like a bomb went off.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Really tragic, and just out for a Sunday ride. My condolences to those who were near t them. This is such a saddening story :sad:

rip.gif

Good idea. Do we have an Italian speaker who could identify a forum and compose or translate something?

We have got a couple Italian based members (I think Gavintc is one). I would be interested in sending something.

longers

Legendary Member
RIP for the victims and condolences to friends and families. There'll be such a lot of them :sad:

I think Cathryn is fluent in Italian, maybe someone who knows her could PM and ask?

What a terrible waste of life, my thoughts are with the family and friends of the deceased.

I hope the driver rots in hell.

Top Bottom