Election - Is there a "Cyclists Vote"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ive cycled a lot in Europe during the lead up to the general elections in Holland, Germany and Denmark - A feature of their elections is the posters festooning the street furniture - approximately 75% of which seemed to show the candidate on/with their/a bicycle - plainly pandering to the Cyclists vote

Apart from a short missive by the Greens - I have not seen much in the way of statements by any of the political parties

Is there a cyclists vote?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
CycleNation are keeping rolling with space4cycling, CTC has vote bike, sustrans had some call to email candidates... not seen BC yet but they'll probably do something.

I'm not sure how much difference it'll make. Nationally, labour has made some muddled statements about transport, trying to be all things to all people, but the local candidate is often seen around on her Pashley. I've seen the Green comments already mentioned. Conservatives have a track record. I'm not sure whether UKIP have replaced their 2010 anti-cycling policies or not... anyone know? If not, if UKIP do well, then it probably means the cycling vote isn't that strong yet...

Drago

Legendary Member
UKIP are making mixed noises with their cycling policies lurching from machine gunning cyclists in front of their children through to cuddling.cyclists.at.every.junction, depending on who's do I g the asking and w/o a being interrogated. That's the problem with having barely any policies, and not enforcing them strictly, then not educating the party elite as to what today's policies actually are.

The Greens can promise what they want, they couldn't do a paper round and make a profit.

The rest of them? Well, who cares?

Whatever happens, as a user group were still going to be largely on our own.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
UKIP are making mixed noises with their cycling policies lurching from machine gunning cyclists in front of their children through to cuddling.cyclists.at.every.junction, depending on who's do I g the asking and w/o a being interrogated. That's the problem with having barely any policies, and not enforcing them strictly, then not educating the party elite as to what today's policies actually are.

The Greens can promise what they want, they couldn't do a paper round and make a profit.

The rest of them? Well, who cares?

Whatever happens, as a user group were still going to be largely on our own.
I think people misunderstand the Greens and Labours capacity for change. For a start the Greens have attracted a LOT of good people to the party in the past year, some with experience from other parties or as independents. Labour have come full circle back to some of the vales they should have been using when in power last. That doesnt mean the Greens can actively challenge a party like Labour, but they can certainly challenge UKIP as they have policies and ideas. UKIP just seem to want to react in horror at everything.

Back to the OP....I dont think there IS a cyclist's vote so to speak. Not in Britain. Only in London do riders seem to be organised and active politically, partially due to the much higher than average number. If cyclists want things to change they have to do a lot more personally rather than relying on the cycle groups or a few seasoned campaigners.

Having said that seeing a UK politician on a bike is a bit "kiss the baby" for the modern generation. It means nothing. Its just a photo opportunity

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ive cycled a lot in Europe during the lead up to the general elections in Holland, Germany and Denmark - A feature of their elections is the posters festooning the street furniture - approximately 75% of which seemed to show the candidate on/with their/a bicycle - plainly pandering to the Cyclists vote

Apart from a short missive by the Greens - I have not seen much in the way of statements by any of the political parties

Is there a cyclists vote?
Not at all. Cycling in at least two of those countries is normal, so in showing them with their bikes their media people are making the point that "they are just like you"

as to a cyclists vote; it always surprises me that some of those who are so very, very vocal about separate/segregated infrastructure for cyclists are so unwilling to stand for office, locally or nationally. It is almost as if they realise they would never get elected, even if the electorate were all cyclists! ;)

buggi

Bird Saviour
British Cycling are currently in touch with all parties to ensure provision for cyclists in their next manifesto (see their #choosecycling campaign). I would envisage the only party that won't be on quite so on board is UKIP??

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
blatant plug, from our local manifesto...

Your LIB DEM Councillors will
  • Work for better transport, pedestrian and cycling routes, helping to encourage everyone to reduce their reliance on cars.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Unless they're promising money, their promises are worthless.

That said, even if they're promising money, it doesn't follow that they'll actually make good on it

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Unless they're promising money, their promises are worthless.

That said, even if they're promising money, it doesn't follow that they'll actually make good on it
Under the current govt cycling in these parts has been awash with money via LSTF et al. The trouble with having the money is the nobbers at County and District, all 4WD & Jag driving types to a man and woman, who spend it haven't a clue about what cyclists want, and even if their officers deigned to consult cyclists originally in order to construct the bid to get the funds from central government they then change the plan between winning bid and implementation, and tell no one, and thus go on to deliver useless outcomes. Or spend the money on what is essentially roads maintenance.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Under the current govt cycling in these parts has been awash with money via LSTF et al. The trouble with having the money is the nobbers at County and District, all 4WD & Jag driving types to a man and woman, who spend it haven't a clue about what cyclists want, and even if their officers deigned to consult cyclists originally in order to construct the bid to get the funds from central government they then change the plan between winning bid and implementation, and tell no one, and thus go on to deliver useless outcomes. Or spend the money on what is essentially roads maintenance.
Or more to the point havent a clue what non-cyclists NEED to become attracted to cycling as a mode of transport or even for fitness purposes

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Or more to the point havent a clue what non-cyclists NEED to become attracted to cycling as a mode of transport or even for fitness purposes
They know the answer to those questions. They just aren't interested in providing them. They 'know' locally that cyclists don't, generally, vote Tory.

Top Bottom