Electric Bike or Normal bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
IF I could ride a conventional bike the same distance as I can my ebike I would get more exercise - OBVIOUSLY. In my current state I can ride an 8kg carbon bike only 2-3 miles before pain stops me. I can ride the ebike up to the limit of the battery - 40-45 miles, so yes I AM getting more exercise, than I would otherwise, because I can't ride a conventional bike that far. IF I could I would.
I don't think this applies to the OP and the advice is for the OP, not me. IF he is fit, or set on gaining fitness, and has no physical issues that restrict that, or restrict riding a bike, once fit he will get more exercise, mile for mile, by riding an unassisted bike.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Having an ebike isn't cheating at all. For more advice you can contact the Pedalecs forum as well. Lots of good advice to be had there on every ebike you could want. Good luck.

My heart has never been so fit since using my pedal assist to commute. I'm amazed just how quick my heart rate drops from 165 to 80 bpm. Were talking well under a minute. Don't get that kind of heart recovery if cheating.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
IF I could ride a conventional bike the same distance as I can my ebike I would get more exercise - OBVIOUSLY. In my current state I can ride an 8kg carbon bike only 2-3 miles before pain stops me. I can ride the ebike up to the limit of the battery - 40-45 miles, so yes I AM getting more exercise, than I would otherwise, because I can't ride a conventional bike that far. IF I could I would.
I don't think this applies to the OP and the advice is for the OP, not me. IF he is fit, or set on gaining fitness, and has no physical issues that restrict that, or restrict riding a bike, once fit he will get more exercise, mile for mile, by riding an unassisted bike.
His restriction is type 2 diabetes.....

youngoldbloke

The OP wasn't asking which ebike, but was trying to decide between conventional and assisted. I don't know how much of a restriction his type 2 diabetes is, and given the limited amount of information I would still advise the Triban conventional bike. Of course the amount of exercise he gets will depend on actually riding the bike, and keeping at it - and it's impossible to say which bike would give him the most incentive. Of the two the Triban road bike would be the one that would do it/have done it for me.
Maybe he should have posted in the 'Bikes and Buying - Which Bike' forum rather than this one as it would seem that most on here are extolling the virtues of ebikes and not really trying to answer his original question

OP
OP
S

Stuka

Sorry about that guys You are right should of put it on there Bikes & buying :whistle: Just to add I had a heart triple bypass 4 years ago and weigh 17 stone. At the moment I am using a tread mill once a day for about 30 mins at fast walking pace

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Maybe he should have posted in the 'Bikes and Buying - Which Bike' forum rather than this one as it would seem that most on here are extolling the virtues of ebikes and not really trying to answer his original question

Sorry about that guys You are right should of put it on there Bikes & buying :whistle:

Mod Note:
I am moving this thread to "Which Bike" ^_^

IF I could ride a conventional bike the same distance as I can my ebike I would get more exercise - OBVIOUSLY.
Not true. You can make the ride as easy or hard as you like/need on ebikes. In fact I cycle to work with motor switch off. Again its all about selecting the correct bike.
Sorry if tone sounds grumpy but feeds like this are full of miss conceptions around ebikes.

youngoldbloke

Not true. You can make the ride as easy or hard as you like/need on ebikes. In fact I cycle to work with motor switch off. Again its all about selecting the correct bike.
Sorry if tone sounds grumpy but feeds like this are full of miss conceptions around ebikes.
What you say is quite correct. If you ride an ebike with the motor off the ride will be harder. If I ride my 16kg ebike with the motor off I will work harder than riding my 8kg road bike. What I said was also correct, as far as it applies to me, anyway - if I could ride my road bike 10 miles I would burn more calories than riding my Orbea Gain the same 10miles AS A POWER ASSISTED EBIKE.

dodgy

This conversation reminds me of the old adage that you can train to ride the alps even if you live in Holland. Watts are watts.
However, who do you think expends more calories on a typical two hour ride, someone who lives in the Lake district, or someone who lives in Lincolnshire (yeah yeah, it's windy in Lincolnshire). Whilst it's quite possible you will expend the same amount of calories in Lincolnshire, it requires real dedication. Whilst in the lakes, you really have no choice. Same as on the ebike, you have a choice; more assistance or less...

youngoldbloke

Deleted my last post as I don't think I can add anything more to this conversation. An ebike works for me, currently, and might be best for the OP too given his history. Perhaps his GP could advise regarding health considerations. Cheerio!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Anybody from the Vintage Forum want to post weights for say an older 3 speed hubbed Raleigh to add a bit more context?

For a cable-braked, all-steel components, 3-speed light roadster you are normally looking at a ball park figure of around 35 lbs weight, plus or minus maybe a pound or so depending on frame size, carrier fitment etc.
Rod-braked traditional heavy roadsters with 28" wheels, dynohub storage battery lighting, fully enclosed chaincases etc could be closer to 45 lbs in a large size.
I've never owned a rod-braked type one, but I regularly ride cable-braked 3-speeds and I do not find them draggy to ride or the weight to be noticeable. The only thing that 3-speeds don't excel at is climbing tough gradients, although roadster gearing can be lowered to improve this. For everyday utility and leisure cycling they are perfect for the job. When I was younger I made better journey times over a hilly 10 mile route on a 3-speed than I do now over the same route on an 18-speed hybrid that weighs 5 lbs less!
Personally I would not touch an e-bike with a bargepole. No attraction whatsoever to me, and they are a big theft risk being expensive bikes if you live in a dodgy area. I don't ride that fast and I don't ride huge mileages, but what I do ride is 100% my own effort.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Ebike not that decathlon.

Get something with a bosch or steps motor.
2k is a decent nt budget but ebike costs are high.

Best thing you're ever going to buy so if it cost a bit more, don't worry, you will be here longer to pay for it.

Enjoy

Top Bottom