Electric Motor Kit for the Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
Is it available now in the UK? It's not on this side of the pond yet, but hopefully soon.

Brompton are quoting a lead time of 6 to 8 weeks for the electric model (i.e. about the same as a non-electric ‘custom’ Brompton). Only limited options available tho’: https://www.brompton.com/build-your-brompton?biketype=brompton-electric

Apparently they want to train up UK dealers before selling elsewhere: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/brompton-electric-first-ride-389666

Last edited:

Mrklaw

The Brompton is more expensive but not *that* much more considering you get an official version with no impact to warranty etc

The Brompton comes with a bag and lights - both of which are extra cost on the nano kit. And the battery looks to be the equivalent of the longer range (more expensive) nano one.

If you aren’t comfortable doing the conversion yourself, that headline £750 goes up quickly to get an equivalent spec
- £900 for the kit with the larger battery
- £100 for lights
- £20 to fit the lights
- £100+ for a bag to put the battery in
- £120 fitting
Basically looking at £1250 all in, and you lose your warranty and don’t seem to have the pedal assist modes that the Brompton does

£2500 for the cheaper Brompton if you’re buying it all new anyway isn’t crazy expensive

If you are partway there then it is different of course. Eg already have a bike, lights, compatible bag, happy with the smaller/lighter battery

Started looking at this because £750 seemed like a good price but I think I’ll stick with leg power for now after seeing the costs add up :smile:

Joe Brom

Regular
Hi, new guy here from USA. I had the NYCe Wheels 250W conversion for a while, I can't say much good about them. That hub motor is heavy enough to make folding quite awkward, and heavy enough to make riding under power pretty much a necessity. My experience was that it added just enough power to overcome the weight penalty, rendering it useless for anyone who actually wants to pedal a bicycle. It's a moped for moped riders.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Hi, new guy here from USA. I had the NYCe Wheels 250W conversion for a while, I can't say much good about them. That hub motor is heavy enough to make folding quite awkward, and heavy enough to make riding under power pretty much a necessity. My experience was that it added just enough power to overcome the weight penalty, rendering it useless for anyone who actually wants to pedal a bicycle. It's a moped for moped riders.
That's very interesting. Nice to hear from someone who uses a motor kit. To be honest, I actually wondered about what you pointed out.

I've been rethinking this electric bike idea, and I've decided, for now, to forgo it. Instead, I am focusing on building up leg strength. It's not like I have to deal with the Alpe D'Huez each and every day. Although I'm up in years, I think I can manage my rides with proper exercise of the leg muscles. I purchased one of those MaxiClimbers, and I can honestly say that it provides an awesome workout. Hopefully this will help me with my rides without relying on an electrical boost.

Joe Brom

Regular
To expound on this a bit, I like ebikes and have a very fast - and illegal, especially over there - mid-drive kit on a full size bike. My issue with the hub kit on my Brommie was that I don't think it was a good match.

When Brompton's own ebike was in development, I was hoping for some sort of mid-drive pedal-assist arrangement so you aren't swinging a front motor around every time you fold the bike. I guess that wasn't feasible so we're stuck with what I had, which was quite cumbersome.

It is my understanding that the eBrompton does have a pedal assist feature, which is a plus. Pedaling along while pushing on a thumb throttle quickly becomes tiring, so you usually end up just riding like a motorcycle. Being able to access different levels of power through the pedals would be a big improvement, enough so that it might make the expenditure worthwhile.

But the weight for folding and carrying is still a major issue. I think a front hub Brompton is viable for folks like me who only occasionally fold to put in the car or store in a room. Using one to run for a train every morning is not a habit I would advise.

simon.r

Person
Dad’s 20 ish year old Brompton is beginning to show its age, so his 85th birthday present is this shiny new 2 speed, nano electric Brompton.

8E4D993A-42E7-4E19-AECE-231D7A4B29C5.jpeg

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

To expound on this a bit, I like ebikes and have a very fast - and illegal, especially over there - mid-drive kit on a full size bike. My issue with the hub kit on my Brommie was that I don't think it was a good match.

When Brompton's own ebike was in development, I was hoping for some sort of mid-drive pedal-assist arrangement so you aren't swinging a front motor around every time you fold the bike. I guess that wasn't feasible so we're stuck with what I had, which was quite cumbersome.

It is my understanding that the eBrompton does have a pedal assist feature, which is a plus. Pedaling along while pushing on a thumb throttle quickly becomes tiring, so you usually end up just riding like a motorcycle. Being able to access different levels of power through the pedals would be a big improvement, enough so that it might make the expenditure worthwhile.

But the weight for folding and carrying is still a major issue. I think a front hub Brompton is viable for folks like me who only occasionally fold to put in the car or store in a room. Using one to run for a train every morning is not a habit I would advise.
My main issue is that I wouldn’t be able to use my T Bag anymore. It’s great for grocery shopping.

Joe Brom

Regular
My main issue is that I wouldn’t be able to use my T Bag anymore. It’s great for grocery shopping.
I don't know how the others are set up, but my NYCe Wheels kit put the battery at the bottom of a big bag (don't know what model it was, but it was from Ortlieb). You would disconnect the battery cable at the top of the bag, then remove the bag.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

I don't know how the others are set up, but my NYCe Wheels kit put the battery at the bottom of a big bag (don't know what model it was, but it was from Ortlieb). You would disconnect the battery cable at the top of the bag, then remove the bag.
I’m sure that your set up would work with the T Bag. Just arrange the battery set-up in the bottom of the bag. The new bike has a proprietary bag and battery that fits on the clamp. Nothing else will fit there. Just my personal opinion mind you, but I think it is a design flaw.

Kell

Veteran
Looking at the posted article and videos, it looks like there's an easy connector built in to the luggage block, rather than a cable which you manually unplug. This is great for taking the pack off quickly and easily, but as I mentioned above, not great if you normally use the luggage block for luggage.

I can only imagine that Brompton will develop (or have developed) a bigger combo bag that houses the connector and battery pack plus leaves room for you stuff.

It's pretty short-sighted if not.

As for my earlier comment about not being able to fit SPDs, it looks like the sensor is housed in the bottom bracket - hence the need for a larger shell - so you'd be able to fit whatever you wanted.

Top Bottom