Electric Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Between 3 and 5 grand. That will put almost everybody off, I would think.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The electrics look exactly like the ebikemotion kit as used in the Orbea Gain. Much neater integration - internal cabling. The Gain is a bit untidy in this respect. I think they'll sell loads.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
GREAT! Now, when I am chasing that rider up one of the big Peak District hills I will not be able to tell they are cheating even if I manage to catch them up and look at the bike......

The rear hub motor is relatively small, but will still be apparent.

It's not much bigger than an internal gear hub and could be confused for one, except the ebike will also have a cassette and derailer.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Having seen it yesterday it is a nice looking bike the guy said depending on the size of the rider you can get 60-90 mile on one charge go a bit steady and you can do a bit more. Also when asked he told us you can't change on the go. You have plug the bike in at home. But charging on the go is coming at some point. The rear hub is apparent but not that over so.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Having seen it yesterday it is a nice looking bike the guy said depending on the size of the rider you can get 60-90 mile on one charge go a bit steady and you can do a bit more. Also when asked he told us you can't change on the go. You have plug the bike in at home. But charging on the go is coming at some point. The rear hub is apparent but not that over so.
Do you mean regenerative braking? Apparently not very effective on bikes.
In fact if the charger is the same as the one supplied with the Orbea Gain (same EBM electrics), it would be perfectly feasible to carry it with you. It's 125mm x 65mm x 35mm + cables and not very heavy. You could probably even carry it in a cut off bottle in one of the cages. So a multi-day trip should be possible.
On an easy ride I'm getting roughly just under 1km per 1% of charge - so up to about 90km. I think 60-90 miles is a bit optimistic, but maybe right for the lightest Ribble.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
I know what you talking about but as for this I don't know I just heard what was being said at the time to a few already looking at it. I came alone midway into it though I heard most of it. But I got the impression it was more likely a way to charge on the move via some form of external power. They did not have a charger with them so not sure. Can't see it being all that big really given how most tech is now. The guy who was explaining things was on the big side and open about it. He on testing had been getting 40-60 m. Lighter tester's had going steady and not massively hilly got about 60-90 mark. Guess in the end it will be dependent on each rider and the route's you do.

robgul

Legendary Member
I sell electric bikes in my shop and, apart from the battery/mileage range, one of the most common questions is whether it charges as you ride.

My understanding is that, at present, the mechanism and effort to charge the battery would impact significantly on the efficiency of the motor and the battery range. That said I'm going to a seminar on e-bikes next week and will ask if "perpetual charging" is within sight.

Rob

Smudge

Veteran
I sell electric bikes in my shop and, apart from the battery/mileage range, one of the most common questions is whether it charges as you ride.

My understanding is that, at present, the mechanism and effort to charge the battery would impact significantly on the efficiency of the motor and the battery range. That said I'm going to a seminar on e-bikes next week and will ask if "perpetual charging" is within sight.

Rob

When i'm out on my Ebike, i'm constantly asked that..... when i say no and explain the physics of it, they dont get it at all.
I'm sure these people think perpetual motion already exists.

@Richard A Thackeray and having seen them very tasty they are too.
The 'Endurance SLe'. or the CGR varients?

Co-incidentally, earlier this year, I was contemplating having my (2017) CGR repainted 'RAC Orange', or (Land Rovers G4) 'Tangiers Orange'
Now they're offering an orange CGR!!

As much as I like the idea of a carbon GCR, I'm not keen on the lowered seat-stays on it
But, the Titanium frame...…:wub:
(even though Planet X's titanium London Road is much cheaper)

Through axles front & rear on the GCR-Ti, so more expense, with new axles (if my Aksium hubs will take the new ones?)

Last edited:
Top Bottom