Electric shavers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In my mid 50's and never really got on with previous electric shavers, think I've had 3 and they always seem to struggle to get a good finish either side of the Adam's apple, the fleshier part of the face. So after 20 plus years of wet shaving, I'm tempted to dip my toe into the murky waters of electric razors again. What is your preference and if its electric I'm looking for recommendations.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm the same. Never had an electric one that did a good job, but I've used one for convenience. I have a 30 quid Phillips wet and dry one, it does just enough. My dad has the same make but the 90 quid version with articulating heads, can't say it did a better job but it seemed to not irritate my skin as much. I think it's all down to what your face likes. A bit like a saddle, the most expensive isn't necessarily as good as a cheap one that suits you

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Philips ones with the 3d heads. Does a good enugh job. Around £50 - I have two (one at the caravan). Only time they don't cut well is when there is fluff in the centre pivot of each cutting head as it pushes the blades away from the disc, so pay attention to this when cleaning out.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Likewise, I've wet shaved for decades. Recently I started using the Remington shaver I had bought for my son's 18th (he's now 27) and it's not been used as he's had a beard since then. It doesn't give anywhere near as good a shave as a razor but it does the job.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Philips 3 head for daily as the replacement heads from China are dirt cheap and last well on my weak stubble.

For a better cut I'd recommend Remington 3 head or Braun Foil - but the replacement heads are very expensive.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
From what I gather you are either a rotary person or a foil person. I am a foil person as rotaries just rip me to pieces. I have had a Braun Series 7 for about 10 years, I keep hoping it dies so I can get a Series 9, but the bloody thing is too good.

stephec

Legendary Member
I've had a foil first that I used for about a month, then a few years later I tried one of the Philips rotary ones that had the moisturiser pouches in them, the novelty wore off with that as well.

I settled on a DE safety razor before growing a beard, and I still use it to neaten the edges a couple of times a week.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Over the years I've used all sorts from the old fashioned "safety razor" and modern multi blade equivalents to various types of foil shavers and Philips rotary head types. Although a wet shave gives the best results it dawned on me early on that with the constant changes due to marketing it added up to a hefty cost for a year's shaving, constantly buying blades.

It was actually cheaper to run an electric shaver, and for many years I used Braun foil shavers, which didn't need frequent changes of foils or cutters, but when they did, they were relatively expensive. A disadvantage of the foil was that when it became due for replacement 2 or more of the holes could join up, making a sharp edge which could cut the skin.

I have grown various beards over the years, so at times have just used shavers to trim them. I did try a Philips rotary shaver years ago but wasn't impressed. However a couple or more years ago my last Braun died and I bought a Philips in a sale as a temporary measure. Again, I was initially not too impressed but I persevered with it and surprisingly my face somehow adapted to it. It's a simple and ingenious design, and as a bonus a replacement set of cutting heads are remarkably cheap, and don't need replacing very often. It works for me for the present. When it finally conks out, I would probably buy another one, though could be tempted by another Braun foil shaver. As I use shavers until they are worn out, this might not be for some time. Shaver technology has not become like disposable mobile phone technology yet.

Overall I think that for me, foil shavers have the "edge" in getting a close shave but for convenience and low running costs the rotary has the advantage.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I grow whiskers until they annoy me, then I use unshielded hair trimmers to quickly get rid of 95% of the growth. I use a triple Philips rotary shaver to remove 4/5 of what is left, and if I can be bothered, I do a very quick wet shave to remove the final 1%. It takes about 3 minutes in total.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
I do similar to @ColinJ above, minus the final wet shave. I got a Chinese imitation of a Philips wet and dry from the famous river retailer after my last Philips died prematurely due to water ingress. The imitation works as well as the Philips does.

I have almost exclusively always used a rotary electric, because the times I tried the razors my skin just couldn't take it. Rotaries do a reasonable job, and the modern wet ones are comparable to what I managed with a razor, minus the flaying.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have had the main brands and have a large area to shave as my hair style is designed for swimming, wet shave face and a £20 rechargeable from Lidl has lasted 6 years now, despite me having a Braun here as well the Lidl does it faster and better. It get used every day as I enjoy being bald.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Always a Philips user tried wet shaving much better finish just a lot of faffing about .
Out of choice i would invent a tablet that stops facial hair growth but that ain't going to happen

For closeness of shave, a Remington has worked best out of all the ones I have owned. But it was so noisy.
For quality of mechanical excellence, a Panasonic was quiet and smooth, but not particularly good at achieving a close finish.
My current shaver is a Braun. A rechargeable one, and about 3 years in it continues to work well. I have renewed the foil twice and the cutter blade once, and am very satisfied with it.

Top Bottom