Electric Shocks Under Pylons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mgarl10024

Über Member
Morning all,

As I commute home on an evening, I cycle under an electric line that is held up by pylons either side of the road at a height of (a guess) 10-15m, and quite a few times now I've experienced a static type shock.

At first, I was cycling with my hands on the rubber grips and my thumb was close but not touching the metal frame of the bike - and I felt a sharp pain in the thumb knuckle and heard a click/buzz. I thought perhaps a bee had bounced off.
A few days later, the same happened.

I then started cycling with my whole hand well onto the grips and away from the frame, and two nights in a row now, at the same spot, I've felt the shocks all over, particularly in the sit bones on the saddle.

A quick bit of Googling tells me to cycle with something in contact with the metal frame and so stopping the charge from building up. My anecdotal evidence from moving my thumb away from the frame and things getting worse suggests this might help. However, what I don't get, is why this works at all - if I cycling along on two rubber tyres then touching the bike should make no difference as the bike isn't grounded?

Anyone else experience this? What do you do? Should I be worried?

OP
OP
mgarl10024

mgarl10024

Über Member
[QUOTE 4867812, member: 45"]Have you gained any super powers?[/QUOTE]
Well, I haven't lost any.

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4867812, member: 45"]Have you gained any super powers?[/QUOTE]

Looks normal to me.

Benjamin_Grimm_(Earth-616)_from_Heroic_Age_Advertisement.jpg

Tin Pot

Guru
Carbon is conductive though. :laugh:

Yes, but you get good electricity through carbon.

Trevrev

Veteran
I get static shocks off my handlebars all the time.........If my thumb wanders off the grip and touches anything metal......Seem to be mainly off the Allan bolt that clamps the brake lever on.
Not sure why this happens on a predominantly aluminum bike.

Colin_P

Guru
Blimey.

I had no idea that cycling can turn you into a human Van-Der-Graaf generator.

I need to be particularly careful having a defib/pacemaker.

Top Bottom