Electrical question...any sparks out there !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Ok so the trip on our consumer box for the downstairs lights was tripping a few days ago.Reset it and all well,then becoming more frequent.Checked bulbs all seemed ok.Then thought outside light maybe problem.Took off and all seemed fine,all lights ok.Then tonight all the lights have gone out bar the interior porch light and the fuse hasn't tripped !
Any ideas ?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Are all the iffy lights on the same circuit breaker? If so, it might be a loose connection somewhere near (or on) the porch light.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Yes sorry all on same circuit downstairs.If I flick the trip off last remaining light goes off.I put the outside light back on to try it and worked aswell.So only front porch and outside light works ?

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Possibly a loose connection, lighting circuits are daisy chained, perhaps the porch light is the first in the run.
If you are competent and happy to do so, check all the connections in the roses and switches.
More likely the roses or junction boxes.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Possibly a loose connection, lighting circuits are daisy chained, perhaps the porch light is the first in the run.
If you are competent and happy to do so, check all the connections in the roses and switches.
More likely the roses or junction boxes.
Thanks I'll wait till it's light tommorow and I've a clear head ! Or try and get a spark.

Mike_P

Guru
Water is often the cause of a trip, had it with a leak on the washer and a iron on steam. Check the isolation on any outside connection boxes etc.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Are all the iffy lights on the same circuit breaker? If so, it might be a loose connection somewhere near (or on) the porch light.
This ^^
It’s unlikely the outside light itself will form part of the of a radial main (daisy chain). There is probably a junction box for it indoors (may well be behind its switch) and this is the first thing I would check.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
This ^^
It’s unlikely the outside light itself will form part of the of a radial main (daisy chain). There is probably a junction box for it indoors (may well be behind its switch) and this is the first thing I would check.
I'll have a look when home from work thanks ! Like I say the light in the porch and outside light are on one double switch and both work fine,no tripping but the rest of downstairs is off.Was tripping 3 days ago but could reset and fine.Then now nothing.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I'll have a look when home from work thanks ! Like I say the light in the porch and outside light are on one double switch and both work fine,no tripping but the rest of downstairs is off.Was tripping 3 days ago but could reset and fine.Then now nothing.
On that basis I would be unscrewing the Ceiling Rose of the PORCH light and checking all is tight (with the breaker off). The outside light probably piggybacks current off the porch light and the rose will effectively be the junction box.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
On that basis I would be unscrewing the Ceiling Rose of the PORCH light and checking all is tight (with the breaker off). The outside light probably piggybacks current off the porch light and the rose will effectively be the junction box.
Had a look and all seems ok,both lights and switch.Im going to have to try and get hold of a spark Monday.
Beer and candles tonight 😁 I'll tell the kids it's like when I was a lad....

gbb

Legendary Member
Worth checking the light at the top of the stairs, its switched downstairs and is part of the downstairs loop.

Top Bottom