Electrolyte Drinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doog

Anyone use them ? Not a beginner but a beginner in relation to this stuff as its always been water and cereal bars. I have never used them before but did today thanks to a free pack and having loads hanging around the house.

What a difference! I guess this stuff exists for a reason. 65 extremely hilly miles and I feel 'normal' . 2 bottles , one with a tablet and one with some powder (both High 5). I am usually hanging after that ride.

Trust me Ive had some long days in my time on tour but thats usually snacking / coffee / the usual touring stopping every 30 minutes stuff but I can honestly say that this is the best I have felt after a roadie type 'day ride' as such.

Can one of resident roadie wizards explain why I feel so good ? It would be good to know because I am ordering some more of this stuff and hope it isnt the placebo effect..

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I use them when the weather is warm to hot. They just put back the minerals you lose when you sweat. Some people prefer to make their own with a pinch of salt. I changed to them as they have no sugars in. I would rather not use one of the carb drinks as I don't want a sugar mouth wash every time I go out for a ride. I still fuel with food before and during the ride (on longer rides) but I don't cramp when using electrolyte tabs and also don't get post ride mild headaches which I used to get with just water or squash as a drink.

OP
OP
doog

doog

I use them when the weather is warm to hot. They just put back the minerals you lose when you sweat. Some people prefer to make their own with a pinch of salt. I changed to them as they have no sugars in. I would rather not use one of the carb drinks as I don't want a sugar mouth wash every time I go out for a ride. I still fuel with food before and during the ride (on longer rides) but I don't cramp when using electrolyte tabs and also don't get post ride mild headaches which I used to get with just water or squash as a drink.

I usually cramp in the night after, about 4 am is my usual time for leaping around the bedroom. I will see if it happens tonight. If you dont mind me asking but whats your fuel before and during a ride? Im usually peanut butter, bran flakes and a banana before a ride for no reason other than that's what I eat for lunch ( I usually ride in the afternoon) .

the_mikey

Legendary Member
What a difference! I guess this stuff exists for a reason. 65 extremely hilly miles and I feel 'normal' . 2 bottles , one with a tablet and one with some powder (both High 5). I am usually hanging after that ride.

I use the same combination, high5 4:1 powder in one bottle, electrolytes in the other bottle, and a few energy gels (or peanut butter sandwiches - depends how I feel / how much room there is in my pockets) and it does seem to leave me at the end of the ride feeling normal! If I use just water alone I end up spending the rest of the day in bed.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
As a base before a ride I tend to go with porrige oats with skimmed milk and either lo cal sweetener or honey. Sometimes a banana as well. During a ride a banana and sometimes a flapjack, fig rolls or some jelly babies. Upto about 50 miles I am pretty relaxed without any food on the ride though, although I think there is an element of base fitness that will influence when people need to fuel.
Obviously on a more sociable ride with mates with a cafe stop fueling during becomes less of an issue as you get cake half way round. ^_^

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I like the lemon and lime high5s, I only use them when its hot and Im sweating a lot really, but like 30p a drink isn't really that bad anyway. :smile:

SWSteve

Guru
Can't say I've ever tried sports drinks if I'm honest, however I got some High5 taster stuff in my last order from Wiggle so I'll see how that fares. I could well be turned to the idea of fancy sports drinks.

Alun

Guru
I've heard marmalade sandwiches are good before a ride!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Salt in squash is good (low sodium salts are even better as they have mix of sodium and potassium).

I carry Nuun tablets on audaxes though as they are easier to store than blackcurrant squash and packs of salt when you want to refill your bottles a few hours in.

RWright

Guru
I drink Gatorade when it is really hot, but I drink the low calorie version G2, not the hardcore performance stuff. I mostly just freeze water in a 20 oz. Gatorade bottle to try and keep it cool until I am ready to start drinking. Gatorade 20 oz. bottles fit in my bottle cages better than anything else I have ever used.

Your fitness may be improving or it may be the drink.

I drink Gatorade when it is really hot, but I drink the low calorie version G2, not the hardcore performance stuff. I mostly just freeze water in a 20 oz. Gatorade bottle to try and keep it cool until I am ready to start drinking. Gatorade 20 oz. bottles fit in my bottle cages better than anything else I have ever used.

Your fitness may be improving or it may be the drink.

I don't think we get 20oz bottles of gatorade here in the UK.

It also doesn't get really hot (by North Carolina standards).

I recently bought some carb powered because I don't drink enough of long rides and a bit of sweetness makes it more palatable. Tried some zero tablets, but I found the taste repellent and got a mild stomach ache from them. The carb power isn't that nice (why can't it taste like squash?) but it doesn't upset me. Only bought the powder as squash is inconvenient for refilling on the road. Plus it's hard to find a squash that isn't full of artificial sweeteners.

karl61

after some research on the web I make this up for longer rides,maltodextrin powder,(4 parts), soy protein(1 part),t-spoon of sugar,pinch of lo salt.in another bottle water with squash. to eat I normally take dates and a flapjack, which I make myself. seems to work for me.

Top Bottom