Electrolyte powder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No I've never tried it but ...

Some Sunday morning maths

"Add 1 heaped scoop (1g) to your chosen drink, and consume during training." Taking that at face value that's 100 bottles from a 100g pack that costs £1.79

Given that it's not pre-measured there will be some waste so round that up to £2/100 bottles or 2p per bottle.

If you buy in bulk-ish high 5 tabs are £31 for 8 tubes of 20 = 160 tabs. £31/160 19p per bottle.

So approximately 1/10th of the price. I think that's an ideal figure, but even if it's 1/5th it's not bad.

Not only that but you cut down on plastic waste. Those empty hi5 tubes really ought to be useful for something ... but what?

As you say, having pre-measured hi-5 tabs for mid ride topup is very convenient. Maybe carry some of this powder in an old hi-5 tube? ;)

But it's not flavoured so if I used it I'd also add a glug of squash. I like a bit of citrussy taste to encourage me to drink.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Used electrolyte powder stuff in the 70's called Accolade, foul tasting so never used it lol.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks for that - will put some on my list for next time - yep I like the flavour of zero tabs.
Could maybe use Aldi's lemon stuff you get in the cooking department.
I used to pretty easily get zero tabs for around £3.50 in regular sales (Or Aldi's similar) but maybe not so available now.

>>Those empty hi5 tubes really ought to be useful for something ... but what?
No idea - should have in theory taken over from 35mm film tubs.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
They do carb plus electrolyte drink powder as well, but they are no cheaper than the regular deals on High5 etc.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
They do carb plus electrolyte drink powder as well, but they are no cheaper than the regular deals on High5 etc.
Didn't notice - but being a mean doubtful northerner am always wary of anything pre-mixed (shades of Perrier with a twist of lemon) - I can mix my own stuff.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
OT but I remember my first taste of Gatorade. It was after a half marathon, in which I'd actually been trying hard. I was in a bit of a state. I gulped down a load of Gatorade at the sponsored stand. It stayed inside me for all of 5 seconds.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Didn't notice - but being a mean doubtful northerner am always wary of anything pre-mixed (shades of Perrier with a twist of lemon) - I can mix my own stuff.
Depends what you want. No problem using an electrolyte drink, or plain water even, on a long ride, if you're getting enough energy from other sources.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Depends what you want. No problem using an electrolyte drink, or plain water even, on a long ride, if you're getting enough energy from other sources.
but it's my understanding that electrolytes have nothing to do with energy - hence the "zero" in zero tabs.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks again to @Dogtrousers for the maths
More digging from me in their page says:
>>Add 1 heaped scoop (1g) to your chosen drink, and consume during training
doesn't say what size of drink but if you count that as a cycling bottle that's 1,000 servings for £10.49 if you buy a kilo (plus postage) which makes it barely above 1p a shot.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I use that exact product and rate it highly. I switched from tablets and a 1g scoop of the Bulk powders electrolyte mix is just as good at getting rid of cramps. Put it in an airtight container or it will clump, but if it does then just shake the box to split the clumps up and no harm done. It’s a very fine salt powder so clumping is unavoidable as I see it.

I also used to buy their 50:50 dextrose/maltodextrin mix which was cheap as chips (when on offer) but I think they discontinued it in their recent rebrand. This was much cheaper than their pre-mixed drink powder with electrolyte and only misses out a couple of optional ingredients (I think BCCAs).

One tip on buying anything from Bulk - never pay full price for anything!! Sign up to their mailing list. Two or three times a year they do 30% - 40% off the entire range. That’s when to stock up.

I buy their electrolyte powder, dextrose/maltodextrin, peanut butter, and plain whey. All good stuff and cheap when they do a deal.

Top Bottom