Elite turbo trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OvertheHill

Über Member
Just got hold of an Elite turbo trainer. It comes with a quick release skewer for the rear wheel which it says should be fitted to my bike. Is it really necessary to fit this skewer or can I just attach the bike using it's existing quick release?

Thanks

AlanW

Guru
OvertheHill said:
Just got hold of an Elite turbo trainer. It comes with a quick release skewer for the rear wheel which it says should be fitted to my bike. Is it really necessary to fit this skewer or can I just attach the bike using it's existing quick release?

Thanks

I don't know about the Elite one, but certainly the Tacx skewer holds the bike more stable than the OE ones. On account that the shanks on either end are better shaped to locate into the female sockets on the trainer.

So in answer to your question, yes its ok to use the OE ones, but IMHO the trainer specific ones hold the bike more secure and firmly.

zacklaws

Guru
I have the Mag elite and found that I have to use the skewer that came with it as the one on my bike does not fit the mounting. Mine has a squarish lever whereas the elite one is small and round which fits into the notch on the mounting.

OP
OP
O

OvertheHill

Über Member
Yeah the lever on mine isn't an exact fit but seems to sit in okay. I'm loath to change the skewer - never done it before. Do you change the skewer back when you come off the trainer?

zacklaws

Guru
Its a simple job, just unscrew the nut till it comes off, remove the spring, pull the skewer through and then just insert the new one, and reasemble the original one to keep all the bits together.

I leave the skewer on all the time, so after I have been out on the road, I can plug back into the turbo without having to change it again.

andyhunter

i have an elite turbo, just depends on the current wheel q/r your using as some will fit and work perfect as q/r are all different sizes and shapes but you want a perfect snug fit for your turbo so the bike will not rock or shake, my mavic q/r will not fit into it so i have to resort to the elite q/r so i can use it.

Top Bottom