'ello John, 'ow's yer RGB Only Mode?

So, 'ow *is* yer RGB Only Mode?

• Fine thanks, and my gamma is to die for

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I understand this stuff and I have a setup that works for me

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I got it out of the box and plugged it in.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I don't have an aquarium

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Didn't you used to have a life or su'ink

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
What does it all mean?

Turned the telly on to find the colour all over the place. Or, rather, 'gaudy'? Loud? Brash? This telly has what it calls a 'Sports Mode', which I checked out. Once. I recommend shades and a bucket.

This wasn't quite that bad, but it was heading that way. I suspect a Samsung overnight update. It's the kind of thing Samsung would do. They hate their customers. Wasn't sure what was out of whack, but I did discover among other things that Contrast was on 100. Halving that helped a lot. And I fiddled briefly with brightness. But beyond that, I'm really pretty clueless.

Ok Brightness I get, and Contrast but Sharpness? ("No! I want it blurrier!") Tint (G/R)? And what's Backlit when it's at home?

I'm thinking of making my Colour Space something other than Native. Any recommendations?

:wacko:

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I haven't got a TV......

keithmac

Guru
I always put ours in "Movie" mode and leave it at that.

The Sports or Dynamic are only really for the showroom where people pick the brightest screen (far too hard to watch at home).

presta

Guru
I have a Humax PVR which has a wide repertoire of software bugs to wind you up with.

Every once in a while it switches to 720p instead of 1080i, then just to make sure you're sufficiently p!ssed off, it removes all the other options from the setup menu so that you can't put it back again. Nearly an hour's job to re-boot default mode, retune, reprogram all your favourites, reset all the record timers, and reset all the non-default setup settings. Sometimes it'll even do it again a few minutes later.

Or there's the colour which goes doolally, orange instead of blue etc. Same fix.

The recorder sometimes stops before the program ends.

The alphanumeric selector panel on the You Tube search page disappears so that you can't search for anything.

The weird one is when the recorder won't work, and all the existing recordings disappear from the menu. Rebooting won't fix that, you have to reformat the HDD too. I thought that reformatting deleted everything on a HDD, but not this one, all the missing recordings reappear (and still work) when you do that.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I haven't got a TV......

Well that didn't take long :laugh:

Go to AVforums and ask about settings for your specific TV. Usually a cinema mode will give you the most natural picture

Intereresting! I just tried that and couldn't find my model, but followed some pretty convoluted tweaks for another Samsung which I'm guessing should be comparable, right down to fine tuning the gamma something or others. Looks a bit muted now, but I'll see how things look in the evening, which is when it really matters. Damn good starting point tho', so thanks for that.

What does the manual you read say?

What is this 'manual' of which you speak?
Search online for lists of sites they use for advertising and block them too.
Excellent idea. Don't suppose you have a link to a YT idiot-proof 'how to' or similar? (I can log onto the router...that's about it.)

I have a Humax PVR which has a wide repertoire of software bugs to wind you up with.

Every once in a while it switches to 720p instead of 1080i, then just to make sure you're sufficiently p!ssed off, it removes all the other options from the setup menu so that you can't put it back again. Nearly an hour's job to re-boot default mode, retune, reprogram all your favourites, reset all the record timers, and reset all the non-default setup settings. Sometimes it'll even do it again a few minutes later.

Or there's the colour which goes doolally, orange instead of blue etc. Same fix.

The recorder sometimes stops before the program ends.

The alphanumeric selector panel on the You Tube search page disappears so that you can't search for anything.

The weird one is when the recorder won't work, and all the existing recordings disappear from the menu. Rebooting won't fix that, you have to reformat the HDD too. I thought that reformatting deleted everything on a HDD, but not this one, all the missing recordings reappear (and still work) when you do that.
That must be really annoying. Without wishing to hex anything, I have to say all my Humaxes have been very good & rock solid reliable.

keithmac

Guru
Our 4k Toshiba randomly crashes, was a bit surprised really as they used to be a decent brand.

Last Samsung was bullet proof.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Top Bottom