Elvis Costello tickets free !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Have passed your offer to someone on the forum adam localish who may be able to use if he's a fan.
I wasn't a really "in" music bod a amongst my pals when he broke through but well remember seeing his first ever (i think) brit tv performance on, of all things, a lunchtime early afternoon magazine prog presented by mavis nicholson :smile: very odd.
Probally too late notice,I'll be going about 7 ish for pre concert drinks....I'm sure I have a friend somewhere who'll appreciate my good natured offer 😁

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
I saw him play in the late 70s, not long after he achieved some commercial success.

He came on stage, rasped the word 'allo', then rattled through about 15 songs without a break.

And that was that.

No audience interaction, but I've rarely seen a tighter set.
Brilliant concert last night and he was surprisingly chatty ! Was up your way playing playing the Sunderland Empire last Tuesday, Must have played for a good two hours aswell.Its a great venue the Winter Gardens.Plenty of history about the place,I hate the thought of big arena concerts nowadays.

Lots of memories of wandering round the winter gardens as a kid when it seemed mostly empty. Good to know it's still being used. Real bit of history. Isn't there some sort of annual punkfest for oldsters there?
I too have no desire to see anyone in an arena. Mega bands and bods used to play all sorts of odd local places - it was an entirely different circuit. I don't suppose there is a circuit as such anymore for big folk.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Lots of memories of wandering round the winter gardens as a kid when it seemed mostly empty. Good to know it's still being used. Real bit of history. Isn't there some sort of annual punkfest for oldsters there?
I too have no desire to see anyone in an arena. Mega bands and bods used to play all sorts of odd local places - it was an entirely different circuit. I don't suppose there is a circuit as such anymore for big folk.
Yes the Rebellion festival in August,there's still a live music scene.But as with everything it's less and less.Winter Gardens is still going luckily.There building a big new extension on the side for conferences...hopefully ! Seen some great bands there over the years.
I've worked in there as a kid,there's a great underground tunnel/network runs underneath it.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Where do the tunnels go?
There just for underground storage and staff nowadays.There are loads of rumours about where they went.I think they once joined up to the Tower or Grand theater ? But I guess with the building of the shopping centre it would of been buried long ago.They sometimes do ghost walks and such in these places !

D

Deleted member 26715

I don't want to go to Blackpool.
A profoundly dullwitted unfunny and irrelevant one.
I disagree I thought it was quite good, but you had to know the origin, maybe you missed that, call yourself a music expert :laugh::laugh:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What sort of stuff did Costello play?

I rather lost interest in him when he moved on to different genres after the first two or three albums.

No doubt he's a remorselessly proficient musician - I reckon he can play more or less any instrument in any style.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
What sort of stuff did Costello play?

I rather lost interest in him when he moved on to different genres after the first two or three albums.

No doubt he's a remorselessly proficient musician - I reckon he can play more or less any instrument in any style.
He played a lot of his older stuff,classics like watching the detectives some newer songs and a encore of Oliver's Army.Really was a good show.He was chatty like I say,told a few stories of his parents and a little political angst ! You'd have known most of it though.

Top Bottom