Email to British Waterways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Touche said:
If I was in BW and that letter crossed my desk I would send you a polite acknowledgement that I had received it and then file it somewhere to be forgotten & ignored. It is too long, I lost interest by the end of the first paragraph.

Yep, me too. And from what I did read, it seems that you're making a mountain out of a molehill. I lived on a boat for two years and there are plenty of inconsiderate cyclists who not only need to be stopped and reminded of the BW code for riding on towpaths, but who also need to be pushed in the canal and kept there with someone's boot on their heads.:ohmy:

BentMikey said:
So you're not a fan of fairness and equality then.

What's fairness and equality got to do with anything? The only vehicles that use towpaths are bicycles. They're faster than anything else on the towpath, it's only fair that they should be subject to extra responsibilities. If people are unhappy with BW explaining those extra responsibilites as often as they feel to be necessary, they can always use the road.

jimboalee

BentMikey said:
I think Gouldina's point is fair - there are lots of other inconsiderate towpath users. Only the cyclists get lambasted for it.

"I think Gouldina's point is fair - there are lots of other inconsiderate towrags. Only the cyclists get lambasted for it."

Origamist

Legendary Member
I used to have a permit to cycle on the BW towpaths, but I think they did away with them a while back.

I imagine it's frustrating to get stopped if you're a considerate towpath user, but I know one of the biggest causes of complaints on towpaths is inconsiderate cyclists.

BW need to be seen to be doing something and informal chats by the canal are not a bad thing - particularly if they change the behaviour of some boorish cyclists.

Origamist said:
I used to have a permit to cycle on the BW towpaths, but I think they did away with them a while back.

I imagine it's frustrating to get stopped if you're a considerate towpath user, but I know one of the biggest causes of complaints on towpaths is inconsiderate cyclists.

BW need to be seen to be doing something and informal chats by the canal are not a bad thing - particularly if they change the behaviour of some boorish cyclists.

That's how I see it. There's probably a dog walking forum somewhere where considerate dog walkers are complaining about being stopped by BW while those cyclists get away with anything. It's all about perception, nothing more or less.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Weekends are a nightmare on the canals by us, always groups of weekend MTB riders tearing along the towpath to access the adjacent bridalways.

BW still operate the permit scheme as a free download, you are pointed to their cyclists' code of conduct at the same time. I agree with most of what's been said about cylists being the biggest danger on the towpath. My only slight gripe is with fishermen, but having been on the receiving end of some pretty nasty behaviour from them as a kayaker it's probably just me.

Top Bottom