Emergency contact details on iPhone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
Copied from an email received:

Emergency services are now accessing emergency details at the scenes of incidents where the injured parties are unable to communicate any personal details or medical history.

To set it up;
Select the health app on your homepage,(red heart in white box);
Select Medical ID;
Create medical ID;
Activate ‘show when locked,(slide till green);
Populate boxes.

To check;
Switch phone on;
Swipe screen;
Before entering password, select ‘Emergency’ in the bottom left hand corner;
Select Medical ID, in the bottom left hand corner;
Check details.

By activating the ‘show when locked’ during set up, it allows emergency services to switch your phone on and access your emergency contact details including any allergies to certain medications.

Apologies if a re-post, but useful information for those of us who cycle alone and have an iPhone I think.

classic33

Leg End Member
They'll only check if it's turned on.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I.C.E is a useful contact to have on your phone and is one that emergency services look for all the time. It's something i have personal experience of and it was something that was widely used during 7/7 in London.

It stands for " In Case of Emergency" attatch the number of the person you want called in this instance.

Do it now, then it's always there.

Hill Wimp

Copied from an email received:

Emergency services are now accessing emergency details at the scenes of incidents where the injured parties are unable to communicate any personal details or medical history.

To set it up;
Select the health app on your homepage,(red heart in white box);
Select Medical ID;
Create medical ID;
Activate ‘show when locked,(slide till green);
Populate boxes.

To check;
Switch phone on;
Swipe screen;
Before entering password, select ‘Emergency’ in the bottom left hand corner;
Select Medical ID, in the bottom left hand corner;
Check details.

By activating the ‘show when locked’ during set up, it allows emergency services to switch your phone on and access your emergency contact details including any allergies to certain medications.

Apologies if a re-post, but useful information for those of us who cycle alone and have an iPhone I think.
In a real emergency there is often not enough time to do this. If you have allergies etc you should be wearing the emergency bracelets or carry the cards to say so.

Emergency services need very quick access to these details and will not play around trying to find health apps etc.
I.C.E is universally advertised and taught to the services to look for.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
As long as the phone is not in smithereens.
What if there are several phones at the site, separated from their owners?
Better to wear tags, me thinks.

Drago

Legendary Member
ICE was dropped by the emergency services a few years ago due to very low take up. Most effective method is a bjg sticker on the back of your phone with relevant details scrawled upon it.

ICE on phones is a red herring and dangerous....

Use tags, bracelets or paper ID all of which are accessible to the emergency services

Hill Wimp

ICE was dropped by the emergency services a few years ago due to very low take up. Most effective method is a bjg sticker on the back of your phone with relevant details scrawled upon it.

Sorry dont agree it was reinforced in some very recent emergency services training i had recently and it was one of the first things the paramedics asked for at a recent incident in Central London.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Personally I wear a set of dog rags when riding alone. They have my I.C.E details stamped on them.

As they're round my neck they're unlikely to get separated from me....unless it's a spectacularly gruesome accident, they have no breakable bits or batteries to run out.... And they were about a fiver......

The ICE on your phone works well

IF
The phone remains at the site and can be found
The phone is undamaged
The phone is charged
The phone actually belongs to the victim
The phone is on / the Paramedic is familiar with the phone and can turn it on
There is no lock screen or password to enable access

Dog tags or paper have none of these issues

Hill Wimp

The ICE on your phone works well

IF
The phone remains at the site and can be found
The phone is undamaged
The phone is charged
The phone actually belongs to the victim
The phone is on / the Paramedic is familiar with the phone and can turn it on
There is no lock screen or password to enable access

Dog tags or paper have none of these issues
Totally agree but if you dont have those or any need of those because you have no allergies or major health isdues or are involved in a mass casualty incident its what the emergency service will look for along with tags and paper.

Why knock something that could help you, is widely used by those that may need to help you and is something so easily done. It may just save your life or get your family reunited with you before its too late.

Top Bottom