Emergency information in event of an accidient

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vbc

Yeah, Mrs VBC insisted I make up a laminated card with emergency contact details for home and for when we're up in Wales (nice cycling) including blood group & medication.

The only snag was that when I had my big accident in May, I'd forgotten my card and my riding mate didn't know the details or home 'phone number. Now thinking of getting one of these: http://www.three70.com/buy.html

Guess you put anything you think is relevant on them.

Stick the laminated card inside your helmet.

Standard procedure is not to remove a helmet at the roadside in case of a head injury or unconsciousness, they'll do it at the hospital.

So it should go to hospital with you, unlike the card you've put in your saddlebag, and it's a far more obvious place to find it than in your shoe.

Mortiroloboy

Just ordered my RoadID FIXX stainless steel, C/W chain 'Dog tag' style with a nice engraving of a cyclist on the back. $25= £12 at the current exchange rate, give or take, plus you can opt to donate a pre determined amount, (from this total)chosen by the manufacturer, but not specified(anywhere I could see) towards a chosen charity, that'll be LAF for me.

surfgurl

I have next of kin phone number in my phone, but hadn't thought about it being damaged in an accident.
I also have all the details in my diary which would be in my bag.
It's a good point about the fact your bag / panniers may not go to hospital with you.
I'll put in an order for a road id asap.

Arch

Married to Night Train
"Name: Arch
DOB: 17/6/**
Allergies: None known
Medical allergies: None known
ICE: +44 **** ******
General health: Well, you just found me lying by the side of the road with tyre tracks over my chest, you take a guess..."

I should get round to an ICE in my phone. And a dog tag sounds like a good idea.

BTW, I know someone who broke a trike axle on tour in France and had to ring to get a replacement sent out, who probably does have Inspired Cycle Engineering in his phone, which would confuse a policeman...

Mortiroloboy

Arch said:
"Name: Arch
DOB: 17/6/**
Allergies: None known
Medical allergies: None known
ICE: +44 **** ******
General health: Well, you just found me lying by the side of the road with tyre tracks over my chest, you take a guess..."

I should get round to an ICE in my phone. And a dog tag sounds like a good idea.

BTW, I know someone who broke a trike axle on tour in France and had to ring to get a replacement sent out, who probably does have Inspired Cycle Engineering in his phone, which would confuse a policeman...

:blush: LOL!

bonj2

if they don't know they can just give you type 'O' - anybody can take that.

User259iroloboy said:
[/B]

:blush: LOL!

Actually between 1994 and 2000 (ish) I had Peter Ross on mine, and then change this to ICE for spares.

Now that is when you realise you are a sad individual when you have more bike shops on your phone than family members!

bonj2

yes, there's type A, B, AB , and O.
A and B represent certain chemicals in the blood, and groups A and B means you've got those chemicals respectively in your blood, and AB means you've got both of them, whereas O means you've got neither. Important thing being if you get a transfusion with a chemical your blood isn't supposed to have your body reacts badly to it apparently. There's apparently some other more subtle distinctions to do with rhesus monkeys which I'm not sure of, but a doctor would know.
So if you're O, that's good if you're a blood donor because your blood's more valuable to them, but if you ever need a blood transfusion it's worse because you specifically need type O blood only, none other will do.

Top Bottom