Emergency spoke repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arno

Veteran
used mine on an other riders bike on a club run. it did bring him home (70km away) ok. avoided brake rubbing against the rim when one of his spokes failed due to his gps falling into his wheels.
I like the fact that they are very light, fit into a tiny space and can be adjusted to any length.

@Geoff Crowther If you have wheels where the hubs and rims match, the difference between right and left spokes on both wheels is within a small measurement that will allow you to use the same spare spoke anywhere. The thread may show a bit on the longest position (rear, left) but that's neither here nor there. just aesthetics.

@numbnuts. That will teach them to carry their own spares. Not being self-sufficient on your bike is a burden to us decent, god-fearing, spare-carrying folk who pay our taxes and put little birds back in the nest when they've fallen out. Besides, I hate blue.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You sure? I don't think there are many wheels that will not get you home minus 1 spoke, I could be wrong, but riding with a big club broken spokes do happen, never seen anyone have a problem getting home.:whistle:

I have some unusual sized wheels so always carry spare spokes, usually in the seat post on the uprights, or taped to the frame on the recumbents

When I am touring, I carry some modified spokes. I buy a few spoked that are longer than I need, I cut of the Mushroom head end then put a kink into that end, then if a spoke breaks, I remove the broken spoke, then with the modified Spoke I push the kinked end through the spoke hole on the Hub, then fit the Nipple end as usual and adjust up tight which locks the kinked end in place, and bingo you have a repair that's not required the removal of the cassette

andrew_s

Legendary Member
A cassette remover needn't be much more to carry than a spoke key, and may even be combined with one

As for the necessity for immediate repair, those who use stupid-lite wheels with only 18 or 20 spokes to start with may find that one broken spoke puts enough of a wobble in the wheel that it won't go between the fork blades or chainstays any more. However, the people who use such wheels generally seem to regar a mobile pone as the only necessary toolkit, so a Fiber-fix spoke won't be any good to them.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I have one too. the smallness, lightweight and ability to be used for almost any spoke length you encounter sucked me into getting one (I mean, how can you say no? -particularly if you love gadgets). I keep meaning to read the instructions and give it a go so if I ever do need it, I'll know what to do... problem is......

I'll do it and then forget if there is a long time between practicing it and actually needing to use it -haven't had a spoke break on a tour yet.

Of course now I have doomed myself -and somehow I get the feeling I'm going to be stranded by the road and looking like Basil Fawlty attempting to operate a fire extinguisher (nice mental image there).

xilios

Veteran
I have bought a spare spoke that is a bit longer, cut the knob off the end and bent it into an "S" shape that can be threaded into the hole with having to remove the cog. I've tried it once to see if it works and did the job quite well.
I just keep two of them with the other spares in the handle bar tube.

Top Bottom