Emplyment law.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
First off, Gromit - check your contract for how much notice. You have been given a contract, I hope?
Failing that, there should be something in the letter of appointment giving the terms of your probationary period.
Failing that, give them a weeks notice. However tempting it is to tell them to FOAD, these things always come back to bite you in the end.

I expect a couple of days off sick next week will make you feel better. I can hear the coughing from down here ;)

thomas

the tank engine
Gromit said:
In my contract it states that I have to give a months notice. I'm thinking of handing in a resignation letter and not turning into work next week, what the worst that can happen to me?

Mine said a month after so long of work. I could of quit after the first week without notice at the start. My old supervisor found a new job, said she was leaving at the end of the week. The manager said she had to give a month, my supervisor said she wasn't giving a month and they didn't do anything.

I can't imagine it's worth their hassle...if you feel threatened when working or that you are in danger you could probably complain under H&S.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Whatever your rights, and whatever your contract says, my advice is to talk to your employers. Explain how things are, and that you want to move onto another job which you feel would suit you much better.

If they know you don't want the job, and are itching to move to another, they'll probably forget about serving notice. Better to let you go and get someone else pronto than keep on someone who's not motivated.

Talk also to your new employer and explain it all fully.

The chances are that you can work out a compromise to suit you and both employers without upsetting anyone too much. Many problems can be sorted by talking.

If you don't talk to them, they may form their own conclusions about the causes of your behaviour, which will probably be wrong. This may come back to bite you later, as others have said. It's a small world (and yours is a particularly small city).

Good luck! (It's about time you had some, job-wise!)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Walk out...they can't do anything - you won't get a reference, but so what. Just tell them that the job was mis-sold, and go. I did that after 6 weeks with a company - they weren't happy, but the job wasn't what had been sold to me..... I literally said I've had enough, I am off...... bye.....

If this other job is much better, go for it.

I wouldn't give a week especially as you've been in the job for just a week...call it cooling off....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Gromit said:
They would like me to start as soon a possible. As for burning bridges, I have had my fingers burned, so don't think I would ever apply for a job there again.

I'm thinking that I have got myself into a very sticky situation here and feel trapped. :tongue:

Wey hey, well done on the offer!

You're certainly not trapped. Did you mention the whoe situation to the new employer? If he understands it, and has offered you the job anyway, then he'll understand any lack of reference from the Museum. So, in the worst case, you could just walk and leave them in the lurch. And if he's decent he'll also understand that you really ought to give at least some notice, and that you'll do your best to make it as little as possible.

My instinct would be to try and please both, and talk to both, as Phil says. The sound of handing in your notice and giving them a week sounds good - as I understand it, you're still in the induction stage, so they may not even be bothered about that week - after all, it'll basically be filled with them training you, rather than them getting full-on work out of you. Explaining the whole situation to them, and suggesting that it's not worth them holding you to the whole month (as you'll still be new and needing support anyway) might do the trick.

I'd agree about not burning bridges if you can help it. Even if you feel now that you don't want to know, there may come a time when that changes (and who knows, the Museum people may get shaken up enough by this whole debacle to sort themselves out for the furture)

Anyway, fingers crossed, things are looking up.

Top Bottom