End of the world

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It might have been worth dropping the wheel of at an LBS,might not have been as bad as you though,;if it wasn't too bad you may have got it done for a lot less than the cost of a new wheel.

It's a re-curring theme at work that we get 'factory' wheels with broken free-hubs that can't be sourced,I even have one at home.

I'd try and see if you can start saving for a set of hand-builts with hubs that are easily re-built (ie Hope,Novatec etc),it'll cost more(although not as much as you may think) and last a long time.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It's threads like this that make me happy to be a retro bike rider

ok spokes can still break and rims still wear but i get the impression rims were harder in the old days and rear blocks are easily screwed on and off once you have the right tool

Tim Hall

ok spokes can still break and rims still wear but i get the impression rims were harder in the old days and rear blocks are easily screwed on and off once you have the right tool
And the strength of a several of strong men. The freehub, when implemented properly, is easy to remove, as the torque from pedalling isn't transmitted through the thread that fixes it to the wheel. Freewheels tighten with use. Badly designed freeubs (Miche, I'm looking at you) tighten with use.

Had my Novatec hub/H+Son Archetype combo wheels for three years with no issues and the freehub was easy to swap when upgrading to 11-speed.

They have taken everything thrown at them in their stride bashing over fen roads with ease and are still straight and true and have never been trued up from new.

Oh and my Campag Zondas have been bomb-proof too and have an easily changed free-hub so even factory wheels can be reliable.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
New wheel is all setup. Tried to fix the Giant PR2 with the dead spoke and massive buckle, was unable to get the cassette off so unable to feed a replacement spoke through. It will have to go on the workbench so I can get some decent leverage and get it off.

I now have odd wheels !!!

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
They are not sexy, but they work!

Shimano hubs, Open Pro rims and 3 cross spokes handbuilt. They only "fail" when the brake blocks wear the rim down. These days I just put a new rim on myself when one wears down. I have a pair of wheels on the good weather bike which have notched up 45,000 miles. It's the grit of winter that's the problem.

Top Bottom