End of year round up: What was your BEST ride of 2012?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I was gutted I couldn't do the full distance, but going down those stairs was interesting.

I've had a few highlights. My first ever group ride courtesy of @400bhp, @potsy and @hacienda71. The Manchester 100 as a CycleChat group. The Manchester-Blackpool night ride, CC also. Last Sundays first hill climb. Finally today's ride out to Circuit of the Americas on my new steel bike was great, if a little interesting. I've got a Social Cycling Austin ride to come on Thursday too. It's scary that I've don all but the 100 without gears, and most of the things I've achieved have been thanks to this forum.

I will never forget this ride.

Winnats pass on fixed - you are a LEGEND ^_^

If that was your first outing in the hills then you did bloody well over Snake Pass. :thumbsup:

Some candidates: my last FNRttC; last saturday's ride - was short but the sun shone and going along a peaceful stretch of country road, a bird I thought was a pigeon at first glance, took off from the telegraph line it was sitting upon. It flew parallel with me just above hedge height and after a few hundred metres went over the road and into a tree in the adjacent field. It was a kestrel. Beautiful and reminded me why I love cycling so much; but, unlikely to be beaten this year as my best, would have to be my ride up Mont Ventoux.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
For me, it was the Prologue to the FNRttC crew LoJoG-training Northampton to London ride:

I left Birmingham for Northampton on my bike. The route was quiet and slightly downhill overall. The weather was dry, sunny with lovely white fluffy clouds, and what little wind there was, was behind me. I did the whole 50 miles non-stop in 2hrs 45mins, (average 18.5 mile/h). I was on my own, wearing baggy shorts and the bike was fitted with mudguards, so no super-slippy time-trial riding. And I was making sure that there was plenty in the tank for getting down to London. This was the furthest I had been without stopping, and by the end of the day, it would be my longest ride ever, my first imperial century and my first metric century.

It was one of those days when cycling seems so effortless and fun.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I've always had the safety net of other people who actually know what they are doing (FNRttC, Ianrauk, arallsopp etc) so this was a ride into the great unknown.

Rolling around giggling at the idea of my being a safety net for anyone. :smile:
There was a time that riding with me was an invite to greet the great unknown, normally at some unexpected hour, place and speed. The trick was to recognise this as a destination, and to get Sig home safe. :smile:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I was gutted I couldn't do the full distance, but going down those stairs was interesting.

I've had a few highlights. My first ever group ride courtesy of @400bhp, @potsy and @hacienda71. The Manchester 100 as a CycleChat group. The Manchester-Blackpool night ride, CC also. Last Sundays first hill climb. Finally today's ride out to Circuit of the Americas on my new steel bike was great, if a little interesting. I've got a Social Cycling Austin ride to come on Thursday too. It's scary that I've don all but the 100 without gears, and most of the things I've achieved have been thanks to this forum.

Of course next year we expect you to join us for the :evil: Fred Whitton on the the SS :whistle:

Of course next year we expect you to join us for the :evil: Fred Whitton on the the SS :whistle:
What are the gradients like, and which of my SS's should I bring? ;)

[Edit]
Max of 17.7%, mostly around 10%. I'll be expecting some training rides up Snake Pass with you on my new SS, it's heavier, steel and generates 75.6" instead of 68.5", then do it on the 68.5" one.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Rolling around giggling at the idea of my being a safety net for anyone. :smile:
There was a time that riding with me was an invite to greet the great unknown, normally at some unexpected hour, place and speed. The trick was to recognise this as a destination, and to get Sig home safe. :smile:
I was careful not to suggest you might know where you are going but you do seem to know how to fix stuff. Well maybe not punctures........ :biggrin:

postman

Legendary Member
I did a lot of 60 milers this year,but due to rubbish weather and taking sometime to recover from gallbladder op,i never did the 100 mile ride,that i intended to do.Last year it was 104 Market Weighton mind you it is all flat.
Most enjoyable was the trip on the train to Skipton then out to Langstrothdale 46 steady miles,during that ride i met a cancer nurse who rides to give herself a break from the stress of the job.
I am hoping for a better summer in 2013,as i have planned six special rides which will include taking the mountain bike on the train a couple of times.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
end of year round up? im doing my longest ever ride at the evans dorking event early dec.

did a few 60milers i enjoyed but did a real hard 37 miles a few weeks back that was very hilly and a lot harder than anticipated, i climbed all the hills well which is why i found it better.

ianjmcd

Über Member
I think my best ride this year is the one that got me back on the bike after far too long away from cycling it was only a 10 miler around millport sponsored cycle ride for macmillan cancer support in august since then i've bought two new bikes a mtb that is supposed to for the wife but i use it more and a road bike and since august ive clocked up close to 500 miles and hope to make it 1000 before the end of the year

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I did my first 80 miler this year on a Sunday club run. I am aiming to do 100 next year on my new bike.

Commuting since September has been brilliant and energetic.

I made a cycling film which I was really proud of. I also hope to make another in the new year on my new bike.

Highest speed reached was about 45 mph. I aim to break the 50mph barrier next year.

That was my round up of the year.

Top Bottom