End of year round up: What was your BEST ride of 2012?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I think mine was when I chased the Olympic flame around the Shropshire countryside.

With some careful route planning and a bit of energetic riding:bicycle: I was able to see the torch 4 times during the day. To start with it was fairly easy to see the runners go past twice in Shrewsbury, then the convoy overtook me on the main road section near Cross Houses. I caught up again in Much Wenlock (they had stopped for a break there) and then managed to scoot ahead to see it for a last time in Ironbridge. Finally, I was chased most of the way home by thundery showers.:rain:
DSC00231.JPG

The ride would have been good on it's own but the party atmosphere in each of the towns I went to and the thrill of the chase made it extra special.:thumbsup:

There may be more good rides yet before the end of the year but I suspect this'll be the "stand out" one.

Sandra6

Veteran
I have two, the first being my first time cycling a "distance" and not just going in short bursts or circles.
I rode from Carlisle to Gretna for the first time in the summer and felt a real sense of achievement.
My second was the first family cycle with our girls when they managed an 8 mile round trip up and down the river side cycleway. It was pretty stressful in parts, but really good fun too and I'm so glad we encouraged them to do it.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
First ride of the year with Calibanzwei, after my long illness, first time back on the bike i decided to get back into it, a short route planned a few miles perhaps.
after 1 mile i had to stop and attempt to put my lungs back in, (i was very ill and extremely weak) but carried on, we agree'd perhaps 5 miles leisurely for a few hours, it was april and a fantasticly sunny warm day. ended up ambling round winwick etc and came back home to find i'd done 12.5 miles and didn't even realise. i felt better immediately.

close second to the 25 mile cycle in the pouring rain not long after one of those days where you don't need to take a bottle just tip your head back, got home and the sun came out hah!

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
My best ride of 2012 is my very first ( and possibly last!) 300km audax ride back in August. We started from Wilmslow at 6am and rode to Montgomery in Mid Wales, getting back at about 11.30pm. The weather was good apart from a couple of heavy downpurs mid way. It was a long day but I felt a great sense of achievement the following day!!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Scottishland in May with Ken and Kenny on NCN7 the day we rode from Kingussie to Inverness.

(I won't forget Berriedale Braes in June in a hurry either)

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Any ride where my head clears and I leave the fogs of depression behind. Doesn't matter if I'm battling up hill at 4mph, speeding down t'other side at 30+ or coasting along at any speed in between. Sun, rain or wind - any ride, any time, even if it's only for a moment, when there's nothing but me, the bike and absolute freedom.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Any ride that has my younger ride mate cursing me because he is struggling to keep up is good. My very best ride was my first imperial century which i always thought was beyond me.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
My highlight of the year was The cycle chat Trans Cambrian ride. 10 Cyclechatters 110 miles and 2 mountains to cross. Plus some beer to be shifted. Best day/weekend by far.

Not mothballing the bikes for winter though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, since my cycling year ended in July, I can give a definitive answer to the question!

I enjoyed all of my rides, even the ones that I suffered on, but some of them were let down by bad weather so I have narrowed it down to 3 and don't want to pick one from them ...

totallyfixed/dr_pink's Rutland forum ride on 4th June

2012jun4rutlandride028.jpg

Ajay's South Cumbria ride on 28th April (I just went to the thread to find a photo and to my shock, there aren't any in the thread! I know I took some which didn't turn out that well. Pity - it was a great ride!)

Finally, allow me to select one of mine ... my flattish imperial century ride on April 1st.

DSC00425.jpg

Fingers crossed that I will be healthy enough to tackle some more of those in 2013! :thumbsup:

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Hmmm best ride would have to be a 105 mile trip through the San Jose mountains up mt Hamilton and through the wild back country to Livermore. We racked up 8000ft of ascent and it was lovely weather not too hot or cold..... Just right.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
My highlight of the year was The cycle chat Trans Cambrian ride. 10 Cyclechatters 110 miles and 2 mountains to cross. Plus some beer to be shifted. Best day/weekend by far.

Not mothballing the bikes for winter though.

Yep this was my top ride of 2012, too!

Done a few really noteworthy ones this year, including my first sportive (stinking ride with a puncture, missed turn, massive unplanned detour and relentless rain) Brighton and back 3 times and my first two time trials. Trans-Cambrian has to take it though... another world out there!

400bhp

Guru
From what I recall, probably the ones I did with my 3 year old daughter in the child seat and my wife. The longest and a lovely ride was along Hdrian's cycleway from Ravenglass to Whitahaven and back.

Non family ride - probably the 100 mile Trans Pennine Trail ride from Altrincham to Southport we did in a day - @potsy, @edwards80, @sportmonkey and @i_like_ skol. Brilliant being able to ride about 85 miles off road.

Top Bottom