End to End budget bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Interesting to hear of the problem free Kontenders on other people's Giant SCRs - if I remember correctly, in Roadiewill's 250 trouble free miles, I'd have p*'d 3 times on the Kontenders, and I don't plough through glass etc willy nilly.

Obviously a city commute (which is where the bulk of my miles are done currently) has a higher risk than a tour along country roads etc (or so I'd have thought) but my personal experience of the Kontenders wouldn't encourage me to attempt a long journey with them on the bike. The other tyres I mentioned all seemed to me to roll nicely, and offer some security in the Kevlar sub-tread belt, without being overly heavy or expensive.

Chiefwiggum

My SCR 2 came with Michelin Dynamic tyres (700x25) and I found them to be pretty good, I've just swaped to Vittoria (700x23) and there may be a little less rolling resistance, possibly a perceived difference as people said I should notice one! However I did notice the bumps and surface of the road a lot more. I would think for a long ride the increased comfort of a 700x25 would be a sensible option.

OP
OP
TimC

TimC

Wow - thanks for all the info!!!

Much of this is way over my head - please could you explain what the figures are? (700x25 - 25c?) and their practical implications?

Basiclly I guess that I'm looking for a pair of tyres that is a compromise between rolling and damage resistance, which won't break the bank...(ahhh, the budget!)

"Overtyred" very good ;)

Tynan

Veteran
700 is your standard road bike wheel size, full size if you like

23, 25 etc refers to the width/radius so how skinny basically, road bikes generally run on 23 or 25, goes fast basically all things being equal

OP
OP
TimC

TimC

Riiiiiiiight! thanks.

It hadn't occurred to me to measure pressure - I come from the old school give it a pinch, slightly slacker in bad weather... Would it be worth considering a pressure gauge?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
TimC said:
Riiiiiiiight! thanks.

It hadn't occurred to me to measure pressure - I come from the old school give it a pinch, slightly slacker in bad weather... Would it be worth considering a pressure gauge?

A descent pump is worth it's weight in gold., I'd hazard a guess that most people here had a track-pump at home with a gauge. When touring.E2E etc it's worth carrying a good pump with some way of measuring pressure. Tyres at the correct pressure not only roll better but are also comfortable and less puncture prone.
Unless you are doing a lot of high speed stuff then a good 25c tyre is the way to go. No lower rolling resistance and more comfort. If your cruising at 18mph plus then maybe a 23c on an aero rim is an advantage. Good tyres will cost best part of £40, if the budget is tight, I'd not worry unduly about the Kontenders, they'd do the job.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Rather than just a pressure guage, you might find a track pump (that incorporates a pressure guage) is a very worthwhile investment.

You can buy a Joe Blow Sport for something like 20 -30 quid. You don't need anything fancier, and you can possibly find something just as good from Lidl / Aldi / the sales, much cheaper if you are lucky.

Top Bottom