End to End; the planning begins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theloafer

Legendary Member
At some stage I hope to do a 4,500 mile tour coast to coast in North America.

hey Vernon
this is also my next big trip west to east but poss calling in on some friends in Canada on the way ..^_^ been saving a few years and I am not getting any younger, the problem with my eyes has made me think .... stop dreaming and get doing ...:thumbsup:..once they are sorted

Last edited:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
At some stage I hope to do a 4,500 mile tour coast to coast in North America. My planning is limited to investigating how to get to the start of the ride and how to get back from the end. I have had the twelve maps of the route for over a year and have only looked at the first one, last one and a couple from the middle of the route.

That sounds an excellent trip Vernon. Good luck with it. But don't hesitate too much ... you're only young once ;)

I'm not hesitating. I need to find a way of having three months off work without any penalties other than losing pay.

Well, in that case, good luck with that Vernon.

hey Vernon
this is also my next big trip west to east but poss calling in on some friends in Canada on the way ..^_^ been saving a few years and I am not getting any younger, the problem with my eyes has made me think .... stop dreaming and get doing ...:thumbsup:..once they are sorted

I've been granted three months leave of absence. It's now a matter of some serious weight loss, some serious financial planning and some serious miles under my belt....

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Cheers. Very interesting to hear your comments re train; just reinforces my tendency towards car hire.
I've been to Arran cycling so can understand your enjoyment of that route.
I did the train down to Cornwall and hired a van between three of us back from Scotland....simples.

Ps the blog isn't working.

Here's mine in case it helps you to prepare...I wrote a factoid at the end.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lands-end-to-john-ogroats.155855/

Enjoy...jealous.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
I did the train down to Cornwall and hired a van between three of us back from Scotland....simples.

Ps the blog isn't working.

Here's mine in case it helps you to prepare...I wrote a factoid at the end.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lands-end-to-john-ogroats.155855/

Enjoy...jealous.
Hi Jonny,
Sorry, seem to have missed some posts on here.
The blog IS working. I changed the address recently. Try again with the one you see below. Let me know if you have any problem.
Already read your thread. Looked like a load o' fun!
Cheers
Geoff

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
I've been granted three months leave of absence. It's now a matter of some serious weight loss, some serious financial planning and some serious miles under my belt....
Sorry Vernon, only just saw this. I seem to have missed some alerts.
Great news! I wish you well. Been stateside many times, mostly backpacking/mountaineering but never with a bike.
Good luck with your plans.

speccy1

Geoff are you doing this solo, or with somebody? Hint hint, LOL! Have done this a couple of years ago, LEJOG, and have the route on paper maps :smile:

contadino

Veteran
Blog's working for me now. I checked either last night or Tuesday and got nothing, but that could well have been my connection rather than the site.

Really enjoying the updates Geoff. They've inspired me to do some much more adventurous rides than I would have otherwise, and I'm now considering a LEJOG next year - after Coasts & Castles, Yorkshire Wolds, NCN 2 (IIRC, Dover to Cornwall),.... The list keeps growing.

contadino

Veteran
This is the reason I don't do any more than the minimum of planning and seldom read tour blogs.
I want a bit of an adventure, travelling with an open mind, discovering things for myself and not being reminded every day of photos and comments made by a previous tourer.

I just saw a quote attributed to Lewis Carol: "If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

I like reading tour blogs. Not for the details, but more for the narrative.

Top Bottom