Endomondo cycling computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

James Blackwell

Hi all,
I am all a bit lost by this market. I currently use Endomondo to track my cycling but my new phone loves turning it off and randomly calling people due to the very large touch screen.
What I would ideally like is a cycling computer that I can link/upload to Endomondo so I can take my phone out of the equation.
  • Does this have to be a GPS model or can I link that to my phone after the run which will track my route safely tucked away where its not going to make phone calls for me?
  • Does anyone run Endomondo and give me some advice on their set up?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

James

Tommy2

Über Member
It has to be GPS enabled and then you can upload it to endomondo when you get home.

OP
OP
James Blackwell

James Blackwell

I thought as much, but there are so many different types of computer and gps units, it's difficult to know what is the right way for me.

Cheers Tommy2

lee1980sim

Hi all,
I am all a bit lost by this market. I currently use Endomondo to track my cycling but my new phone loves turning it off and randomly calling people due to the very large touch screen.
What I would ideally like is a cycling computer that I can link/upload to Endomondo so I can take my phone out of the equation.
  • Does this have to be a GPS model or can I link that to my phone after the run which will track my route safely tucked away where its not going to make phone calls for me?
  • Does anyone run Endomondo and give me some advice on their set up?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

James
I just use the app as normal, load it up let it find gps, set the 10 second timer, lock the screen put it in my saddle bag or rucksack and off I go

compo

Veteran
I just use the app as normal, load it up let it find gps, set the 10 second timer, lock the screen put it in my saddle bag or rucksack and off I go

Which is exactly what I do with no problems. The track then automatically uploads to my Facebook timeline. The only settings I have to change is to turn off the wifi and turn on the data switch. If I leave the wifi on, for some reason it interferes with the tracking. I normally have the data setting off but need it for endomondo.

lee1980sim

The only settings I have to change is to turn off the wifi and turn on the data switch. If I leave the wifi on, for some reason it interferes with the tracking. I normally have the data setting off but need it for endomondo.

Rarely have my WiFi on the speed is far too slow compared to 4G, even if I have the phone in my chest pocket to check the route I'm following I've still never had the problems described by the op, I think its a phone problem not app

OP
OP
James Blackwell

James Blackwell

Thats what I had been doing for the last three years with no problem at all. My latest phone though has a sensitive touch screen and keeps activating the screen, opening apps, making phone calls, but more irritatingly stopping my endomondo before I have finished.
The phone is also now quite an important tool for my work, so I cant really risk damaging it while I ride, that and it doesnt fit securely in my cycling top pockets. The downside to progress I suppose.

OP
OP
James Blackwell

James Blackwell

Something like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-200-gps-cycle-computer/
then upload it to Garmin connect which will the auto sync to endomondo and strava.
I had been looking at a few of those on ebay, so at least I know I am on the right route. I just could not read anywhere about how it syncs with endomondo. Didnt want to loose 3 years of endomondo data by being forced onto an alternative tracker

compo

Veteran
Thats what I had been doing for the last three years with no problem at all. My latest phone though has a sensitive touch screen and keeps activating the screen, opening apps, making phone calls, but more irritatingly stopping my endomondo before I have finished.
The phone is also now quite an important tool for my work, so I cant really risk damaging it while I ride, that and it doesnt fit securely in my cycling top pockets. The downside to progress I suppose.

I use Endomondo on a Nokia Lumia 520 running Windows 8.1. There is setting on the phone to adjust the sensitivity of the screen. before I found it mine used to keep dong peculiar things but having reduced the sensitivity had no problems for some months now. Just a thought.

Tommy2

Über Member
Even if you end up liking the Garmin connect format (which is unlikely) there are ways to sync all your history from endo to Garmin or if like a lot of people you might prefer strava.
all your history can be dragged over to it.

lee1980sim

Can't you adjust the sensitivity, my top pocket has a zip if not it's the saddle bag or some elastic band things from ebay to hold the phone to the stem

OP
OP
James Blackwell

James Blackwell

Have you thought about using the lock screen so you cannot accidentally make a phone call or get into Endomono to turn it off ?
I did set the password lock for the screen, got to work and had 8 unsuccessful log in attempts!

It seems if I put the thing upside down in my coat pocket it doesn't happen. Ok for now, but now I have looked into Garmin's I do like.

Screen sensitivity as low as I can take it without looking a complete plonker :smile:

Top Bottom