endtoend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vangogh

any end to enders ive done it twice 970 mile 1300 mile and 2500 mile rnd uk each time we had back up van next year i want to do end to end with out support just saddle bags as i havent a tourer what eqiupment would i need i.e panniers and a not to expensive bike .i will be 60 then so might also need a rack for my zimmer

I would also be interested in anyones experiences of jogle/legog. There are quite a few good write ups midlife crisis and Top Notch PDF are a couple but there is loads on the web, anyone done it camping, self sufficient etc? are hostels BB,s the way to go?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
starseven said:
I would also be interested in anyones experiences of jogle/legog. There are quite a few good write ups midlife crisis and Top Notch PDF are a couple but there is loads on the web, anyone done it camping, self sufficient etc? are hostels BB,s the way to go?

My blog from last year's JOGLE is at http://jogle-ride.blogspot.com/
My blog from my 2005 LEJOG and failed attempt of 2004 is at http://20six.co.uk/vernon/archivebymonth

I've very recently completed a Channel to the Med ride and found it to be easier than LEJOG with much better food and drink to boot ;)

All of my tours are done solo as an unsupported cycle camper which bestows maximum flexibility upon the ride when it comes to route selection, daily mileage, sightseeing, etc.

Go for it. It's not daunting as it appears.

MartDavis

Veteran
I'm doing JOGLE starting tomorrow.
Train from Rugby to Inverness and staying first night on a B&B boat in Inverness harbour.

MartDavis said:
Train from Rugby to Inverness and staying first night on a B&B boat in Inverness harbour.

Hi Mart

If you are still about to receive this then "Good Luck " and if you have set of, let us know how it went when you get back.

MartDavis

Veteran
I stopped on a boat called Eilin Bhan (White Swan), so yes, I'm sure, now that I've done it. After I left, it set out to sea, but it is usually available when in harbour. It's easy to find with google.Run by a chap called Ian.
So far I've made it from JoGs to Troon via Arran. It's been a bit of a deviation from the original plan but it's been good, especially the bit from Bettyhill on the north Scotland coast down through the Nevar valley - almost perfect cycling.
I'm now sat in a pub in Troon with no B&B available in the town, so I guess I'll have to get pissed and sleep on the beach, or wherever.

MartDavis said:

A belated 'Good luck' to you Mart! Sounds fun.
Keep us posted as to how the trip goes/went.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
longers said:
Are there any benefits in going North to South or vice versa?

None whatseover.

Received wisdom is that the prevailing wind is a south westerly thus benefiting those travelling northwards. I've done it both ways and had roughly the same number of days with a head wind in each direction.

Over a year south westerly winds might be the most frequent but I have read more than one account of folk with headwinds for the majority of their ride northwards. The weather will not adjust itself to suit your travel plans so it might be worth looking at another factor that might influence your choice of start and end points - getting there and back.

Scotland can be a problem depending on when you decide to travel. FirstScotrail has a strict two bike policy for its trains. There is a van service during the summer months that ferries bikes between Inverness and Wick/Thurso which allows more than two bikes to be ferried northward/southwards. Having a bike reservation is essential for any FirstScotrail travel. Outside of the summer van season then it's back to two bikes per train.

I live roughly halfway between the extremities and found that I got home at least three hours faster from Penzance by train than I could from Thurso. There are also more trains to/from Penzance per day.

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks vernon.
If I say I'm thinking about doing it, it's in print now and I have therefore tentatively commited. :blush:

snorri

Legendary Member
MartDavis said:
I stopped on a boat called Eilin Bhan (White Swan), so yes, I'm sure, now that I've done it. After I left, it set out to sea, but it is usually available when in harbour. It's easy to find with google.Run by a chap called Ian.

Ah yes! Now I know the vessel, Eala Bhan.:blush:

MartDavis

Veteran
Hoorah! Made it!
1100 miles, 15 days and no punctures.
I think the wind direction thing wasn't an issue: it was a bitch across Bodmin Moor and the north coast of Scotland, but was behind me at other times.
The extra 100 miles was due to a very worthwhile detour across The Isle of Arran.
All in all, although I had a couple of bad days, it was a great experience and I'd definately do it again.

Top Bottom