Endurace Racers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shrew

Hi Folks

im 27 y/o and been cycling since forever but just mountain bikes and a £15 racer which i brought off a mate when i was at school,

Last summer i brought a Boardman road bike for £700, and fell in love with road riding.

in november i was hit by a car in the A1 and broke my leg/ankle and back, its fair to say i need a new bike too....

so, im healing up and i want to try and get back on the horse and start riding, Cambridge to Paris is my plan once im in a fit state but heres where im stuck

Im going to need a bike thats pretty forgiving, from what i can find on the net steel is most forgiving follow by alu but im not sure on this, i had a look at the specialized roubaix thinking that the more upright positioning would maybe be a better option too due to my back injury but im not sure about my other options, Im after a bike thats fast and fun on short and long rides and would consider anything around £1000 - £2000.

My LBS are snobs and i really dont want to buy a bike from them, there very bias towards there favourate brands so hoping to get some tips on things i should be looking at, materails and make/models that might suit me it needs mud gaurd fittings and the ability to fit bags ideally but bags arnt essential.

Many Thanks

Nick )

Darkmarkster

Über Member
hello mate sorry to hear about your accident hope your recovering well!

If your looking for a flat bar (which im only adding as it might help your back) but road rideable bike possibly made out of alluminium or a lightweight metal then something like this may be what your looking for:

Its a flat bar Cannondale Synapse hybrid/road bike well inside your price range.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...oogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

Nearer to the top of your price range is the Orbea 2010 Flat bar road bike,its full Shimano Ultegra from what I can tell and although the frame is Carbon it could possibly give you a smoother ride.

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/119308.html

They both can take seat/saddle bags & mudguards and look pretty zippy to get around on both for short and longer rides.

If you did fancy a drop bar road bike then Wiggle have a fantastic Focus Cayo at a reasonable price which is full carbon with a 105 components,this bike has been highly acclaimed by cycling weekly and a lot of other reviews.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus_Cayo_105_Compact_2010/5360045299/

Cant really think of anything else right now but will be sure to add to it if I do. :biggrin:

OP
OP
S

shrew

thanks dark )

yeah, im defo after a drop bar road bike, im just gonna hope i can ride it when i get it.

just trying to soak up some info on what i can do to mitigate the issues im likely to encounter. i love cycling and not ready to give up on it just yet.

Darkmarkster

Über Member
shrew said:
thanks dark )

yeah, im defo after a drop bar road bike, im just gonna hope i can ride it when i get it.

just trying to soak up some info on what i can do to mitigate the issues im likely to encounter. i love cycling and not ready to give up on it just yet.

sounds like a plan,technically a drop bar road bike should aid your recovery as your back is arched in its natural curvature? or is that totally wrong of me to assume that :biggrin:

chfp77

I used to have a Cayo,great bike! Mine was Ultegra and came in at £999. Think the prices have gone up since though. Althought the bike was fantastic and great value,i found the front end low and used to make my back ache after a while,i had to get rid for something a bit higher up front.

Darkmarkster

Über Member
chfp77 said:
I used to have a Cayo,great bike! Mine was Ultegra and came in at £999. Think the prices have gone up since though. Althought the bike was fantastic and great value,i found the front end low and used to make my back ache after a while,i had to get rid for something a bit higher up front.

ah i see! sounds like you got a great deal on a Ultegra groupset :biggrin: was it light?

Noodley

How about Van Nicholas Titanium frame - something like the Yukon? A bit more upright...

http://www.corridori.co.uk/gbu0-display/Van_Nicholas.html

Paul Smith (mentioned in the above link) is a member on here and is a very good source of advice - impartial and helpful. I have the Yukon for longer distances and hilly rides (with triple) and as it's made of Titanium it'll probably outlast me!

Darkmarkster

Über Member
aw could you not get a riser or something for the handlebars as to decrease the angle or something?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
If you have serious back issues, a recumbent is the way to go - very comfortable, can be quick and everyone will look at you (and probably smile :tongue:)

Have a look at the 'bent section on CC and, though they are more expensive than a DF (diamond frame) you're in the price range for a good 'bent.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Some carbon forks (which should be standard in your price range, they start in bikes like £600+) to eat up road buzz and a flipped stem might get the bars up enough to aid your back. You can always buy a more highly angled stem, and flip it to get them even higher.

RedBike

It arguably depends more upon how the bike is made than the material used.

Cabon is the most forgiving
Followed by Ti, steel then aluminium.

Also having the correct fit will make a big difference to the comfort over longer distances.

chfp77

Darkmarkster said:
aw could you not get a riser or something for the handlebars as to decrease the angle or something?
Tried allsorts of different stems and angles,just couldnt quite get it. I do have a history of back trouble,but to be honest im not sure wether the frame was a fraction big. Im 5ft 8 and everyone and i mean EVERYONE said a 54 or medium frame. The guy at my LBS actually chuckled when i suggested a 52 or small!!

Top Bottom