Endurance Bike made from scratch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NightCruiser

After a long period of comparing and estimating, I have now decided to have a bike built entirely according to my ideas. However, this decision is also due to the currently rather poor supply situation with finished bicycles of all kinds and their equipping with often quite cheap components. So the first step was to find a suitable frame set in good quality. By pure chance I recently came across a small but fine company called OPEN based in Basel, Switzerland, which also sells unpainted frame sets and therefore offers ideal conditions for my wishes. Fortunately, there are still a total of four dealers in my city who can completely carry out the construction. Now it would also be interesting if there is someone here who already knows this company and its products.

D

Deleted member 23692

Hambini has an opinion (WARNING contains adult words),

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCgpVv07gUk

and they threatened to sue him... but never did

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xByGLOu4gdw&t=1350s

I'd look elsewhere

Last edited by a moderator:
After a long period of comparing and estimating, I have now decided to have a bike built entirely according to my ideas.
I'd be very wary of doing this. I know someone who had a bike handbuilt, from the raw tubes up, from his own ideas.
And he was a very experienced cyclist.
Despite this he managed to end up with a bike that wouldn't take tyres as wide as he tended to like for one of his favourite bike pastimes - touring.
I personally think he'd have been better off starting with an old hybrid frame and building from there.
Bike companies, the good ones, tend to know what they are doing, even if their products might at first sight seem rather humble.
They have thought through the variables.
I'd be inclined to start with a nice good condition second-hand frame (may look almost new) and build from there.
Another advantage - the bike might look less nickable - not a problem unless you want to impress folk, including the criminal fraternity.

T4tomo

Guru
I have no views on Hambini, but controversy will help his views / hits.

OPEN Frames look pretty expensive though so they should be equally high standard
if you are going for their road bike frame, i'd be very wary of that seat post arrangement. 15mm of adjustment is tiny, especially if you sell it on, it really reduces potentially purchasers and value. plus any damage at all renders the frame as scrap, plus it makes it more awkward to transport anywhere, i.e even in the back of a car etc.

do they do a decent length frame warranty?? If not walk away

OP
OP
N

NightCruiser

I'd be very wary of doing this.
Please no opinions from third parties, these don't represent a real experience in this thread and are therefore also irrelevant. In addition, my bike is only set up by qualified personnel and not by myself. These people get clear instructions from me on how to proceed if something does not meet their expectations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NightCruiser

OPEN Frames look pretty expensive though so they should be equally high standard.
The question in this thread is: Has anyone here their own experience with OPEN products? It doesn't make any sense to rack my brains here, believe me, I can do that much better! And yes, the frame is damn expensive.

Last edited:
Please no opinions from third parties, these don't represent a real experience in this thread and are therefore also irrelevant. In addition, my bike is only set up by qualified personnel and not by myself.
no opinions/views/input from "third" parties?
why might I ask are you posting on a cycling forum?
What are the TWO parties that input is invited/allowed from?

T4tomo

Guru
The question in this thread is: Has anyone here their own experience with OPEN products? It doesn't make any sense to rack my brains here, believe me, I can do that much better! And yes, the frame is damn expensive.
somewhat rude and arrogant.

You do realise you posted on a forum here - al views are valid? there is a lot of experience on here you could tap into or politely ignore. The forum doesn't have a policy of shooting on sight anyone who offers conjecture without hard evidence. If your are as clever as you think you are you may want to refer to OPEN in your thread title.

good luck I hope your BB fits and your seat post doesn't crack:whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
You might have more luck on a Swiss/French/German cycling forum (most here are in the UK)...as it seems rather a niche product (in many years on the forum, I have never before seen mention of OPEN). You could try the forum search function though, just in case :smile:

Enjoy your new bike :okay:

Top Bottom