Endurance gravel / CX bike - reach and stack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
I currently have a CX bike 58cm, which I suspect is sightly too small for me, or is too aggressive. I say this because after riding it, I get terrible neck pain and shoulder pain which lasts for a few days afterwards.

CX bike:
Reach 395
Stack 589
head tube length 165

In comparison, when I ride my Cannondale synapse 58cm, it's like getting back into an old armchair, its so comfy.

Synapse:
Reach 392
Stack 618
Head tube length 208

The stack of the CX bike is lower than the road bike, hence the handlebars are lower. its more bum up,head down, and i think its this which gives me problems. the handlebars cannot be raised any more.

I am looking to replace my CX bike with something else, but this is where I get a bit stuck. I am looking for a bike with similar geometry to my Synapse, with disc brakes whaich can take around 35-40mm tyre.

I was looking at a Croix de Fer frameset in Large size, and the geometry chart for this is almost identical to the Synapse:

Croix de Fer:
Reach 395
Stack 612
Head tube length 175

The head tube lenght of the CdF is less than the synapse, and all online reach and stack calculators do not agree with the published stack of the CdF.

Is the CdF a relaxed bike, and is it a close match to the Synapse? How can the stack be almost the same if the headtube is almost 35mm shorter?

What endurance gravel bikes are out there?

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Other gravel bikes...
GT Grade
Specialized Diverge
Pinnacle Arkose
Marin Gestalt
Giant Anyroad

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/adventure-road-and-gravel-bikes-a-buyers-guide-187448

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/217893-18-best-2018-gravel-adventure-bikes-—-super-versatile-bikes-are-home

This says about the CdF...maybe the 2018 geo is different to earlier years (I dk what you're looking at)

British brand Genesis was doing adventure road bikes long before it became the latest trend, and the most recent changes to the Croix de Fer - a lower bottom bracket and taller head tube - took it further away from its cyclo-cross roots and closer to an adventure bike. And is there any adventure bigger than riding around the world? That's something that Vin Cox did in 2010, setting a new record in the process, aboard a Croix de Fer. Steel frames feature across the range with a choice of steel or carbon forks, plus disc brakes, external cable routing and eyelets for racks and mudguards.

I always look at headtube height rather than

@steveindenmark has a recent TDF I think and speaks favourably of it

Go to Evans and get some test rides maybe?

Assume you've flipped the stem, tried a longer stem or more angled on the CX etc,

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
upload_2018-1-30_11-59-34.png

Assume you've flipped the stem, tried a longer stem or more angled on the CX etc,
THIS ^^^^^

It seems a bit extreme to change bikes just to move the handlebars a bit! However, the size chart for the GT Grade above and it is much reduced at the moment - RUTLAND CYCLES 56cm & 58cm for £1325 at the moment......

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
Thanks. a had thought about a steerer extender, but my steerer is carbon, so its not recommended to use an extender. I had thought about getting some new forks (existing have been cut by 50mm - assuming 300mm steerer). I was thinking of the Genesis Croix de Fer as a frame set, and transferring everything across.

My research on the matter

Thanks you @Nibor, that's very useful info.

The problem with geometry charts is the angles. They are hard to measure and may not agree with the specs. Better to use [x,y] coordinates to fix your points of contact is space. I use the bottom bracket as [0,0], mark x=0 on the top tube and away you go.

C.J

Über Member
I currently have a CX bike 58cm, which I suspect is sightly too small for me, or is too aggressive. I say this because after riding it, I get terrible neck pain and shoulder pain which lasts for a few days afterwards.

CX bike:
Reach 395
Stack 589
head tube length 165

In comparison, when I ride my Cannondale synapse 58cm, it's like getting back into an old armchair, its so comfy.

Synapse:
Reach 392
Stack 618
Head tube length 208

The stack of the CX bike is lower than the road bike, hence the handlebars are lower. its more bum up,head down, and i think its this which gives me problems. the handlebars cannot be raised any more.

I am looking to replace my CX bike with something else, but this is where I get a bit stuck. I am looking for a bike with similar geometry to my Synapse, with disc brakes whaich can take around 35-40mm tyre.

I was looking at a Croix de Fer frameset in Large size, and the geometry chart for this is almost identical to the Synapse:

Croix de Fer:
Reach 395
Stack 612
Head tube length 175

The head tube lenght of the CdF is less than the synapse, and all online reach and stack calculators do not agree with the published stack of the CdF.

Is the CdF a relaxed bike, and is it a close match to the Synapse? How can the stack be almost the same if the headtube is almost 35mm shorter?

What endurance gravel bikes are out there?

Thanks

I usually divide the stack by the reach, for a less aggressive position you want it to be over 1.5.
If you look at the GT Grade that is nearly 1.7 so fairly upright.

And the stack / head tube question have you looked at the length of the forks.

C J.

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
Surely a new set of forks will get you a more suitable CX ride? Or am I missing something?

That's the other option I was thinking of. I can get some new forks from Planet X (London Road forks £99), and assuming the steerer will be 300mm long, would raise the bars suitably.

Last edited:
Top Bottom