Endurance training when time restricted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bayerd

Über Member
I am planning on doing the Manchester to Blackpool run this summer which for those that don't know is approx 60 miles.

Initially I was planning on building up my longer rides each month so that I could enjoy the whole ride rather than endure the back end of it.

Then my wife started working weekends, leaving me holding the baby so to speak.

I currently cycle on average 70 miles a week, with usually one day's rest. The furthest I've been is 27 miles, which I found OK and could have gone further (I think).

My question is, is it possible for me to try build up my endurance by riding an average of 10 miles a day? Time doesn't really allow me to do more....

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
short answer...no. try a turbo.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
As the Alien says you will be able to manage it especially if you don't go off too fast and take sufficient liquids and energy snacks with you- the company on these rides helps a lot.

OP
OP
B

Bayerd

Über Member
accountantpete said:
As the Alien says you will be able to manage it especially if you don't go off too fast and take sufficient liquids and energy snacks with you- the company on these rides helps a lot.

I always ride solo at the moment, so yes, I'm sure that company will help.

Alien8 said:
If you can go 27-miles without difficulty then I'm sure 60-miles should be manageable - but 10-miles rides won't help you. Are you sure you can't fit a couple of longer rides in to your week somewhere?

I've time to do the odd 20-30 miler, I was originally hoping to get a couple of 40-50 milers in beforehand. It's this kind of distance I'm struggling with from a time to do it point of view. I suppose what I want to know is, is the leap from 30 miles to 60 miles in one go too much?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
yep. it really is. you will ache badly on your bum,lower back, your shoulders, neck, wrists and hands. weird thing is your legs will probably be ok. you loose the ability to do distances you have done before fairly (and surprisingly) rapid.

Matty

I'd say yes, if you are reasonably fit. Time constraints restrict me to the commute - 12 miles each way, which I use as 'exercise'.

As for longer rides, extended route home yesterday 28 miles, 35 miles off road last week and before that 30 miles on hilly route. Can't think how long since I did any more - 50+ maybe two Xmas' ago. None of the longer rides are a problem, never take food, never stop. Just get achy lower back/ar$e.

I'd go for a 100 miler without thinking about it given the chance/time, probably take some food for that though!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'd say your current situation is not ideal but if you can go 27 you can probly go at least 50, most likely 60 if you grit your teeth.

From my experience, furthest I had ever cycled was 26 miles, last Saturday I decided I'm doing 50, 3 hours and 11 mins later, I had finished it and rolled home. I was tired, I ached a bit, but it wasn't so brutal that I couldn't have continued some more. I think you will make your distance if you put your mind to it, the training will go more towards doing it in comfort rather than making the distance

Coco

I did much the same last year. Longest I had done was 25 miles and mostly just doing my 10 miles a day commute. Did the Pedal for Scotland event (51 miles) and it was surprisingly easy. I suspect the crowd and other CC members made it that bit better.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Buy a tub of SIS from us folks over here in Lancashire, it will keep you going for the full 60 miles

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I think rides of 50-60 miles can be done with a training base of pretty short (10 mile rides) as long as you are fairly comfortable on the bike for this sort of distance. Admittedly you only really find out by doing long distances, but I expect you can fit in at least one longer ride beforehand to shake things down a bit.

If you can only do short rides then try increasing the intensity of some of them and intersperse the intense rides with nice easy ones, rather than doing them all at a similar pace.

Alternatively make some of your 10 mile routes hillier, or even loop around to take in one hill multiple times. Mix things up a bit to get the most out of the time you have.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I think you're all making it sound too negative. As long as your bike fits, you should have no difficulty going from 27 miles to 60. I've done rides of 60-odd miles with no training other than a 5-mile each way commute and the occasional 15-20 miler.

A 60 mile ride, after all, is just two 30 mile rides strung together. Don't go too fast until you're warmed up, take 15 minutes off the bike at the half-way point, eat and drink sensibly and you'll have no problems.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
srw said:
I've done rides of 60-odd miles with no training other than a 5-mile each way commute and the occasional 15-20 miler.

Me too.

And numerous colleagues do London to Brighton on the back of no riding whatsoever, for years. Not that I recommend that approach.

Top Bottom