Energy bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zorro

Veteran
I quite like the tracker (Banesto) bars which you can get from any supermarket. Tasty, easy packaging to open on ride, and just enough of an energy boost to keep you going. Plus they are small enough to easily fit four to six of them in each jersey pocket. :biggrin:

PK99

Legendary Member
Randochap said:
Not a big fan of "Energy Bars." The gag factor always kicks in after a while. I'm much more inclined to use liquid myself.

There's a small -- soon to be expanded -- nutrition section here. To reiterate, we're often too quick to look for a specialty option, when there are plenty of tasty on-bike food options available at the supermarket, and likely your own kitchen.

As with so many things cycling, if you are looking for the final 0.1% that will make the difference in a sprint finish the speciality option might make the difference - for most mortals not working at their physical limit the supermarket option is just fine! I use geo bars - but do find that sports drinks (SIS) work better for me than my homemade fruit juice mix but that might just be that SIS is more palatable in the large quatities i need on a long ride.

jimboalee

nigelnorris said:
I'm clearly misreading something, the word butter doesn't even appear on the linked page?

I'm not getting it; 2 oz of butter = 400kcalories of mostly saturated fat, how can that be a good thing?

Monounsaturated fats are those that are liquid at room temperature and get solid when chilled.
Butter is definitely liquid at stomach temperatures. It coats the inside of your stomach to trick the brain into the feeling of satiaty.

Butter contains no carbs, it is all fat. I am on an eating regime of 'Carbs before, protein after', and I used to fry my chicken and fish in butter.
I would get two or three large chicken breasts out of the fridge and fry them because I was really hungry after a 100 km ride. Three large chicken breasts proved TOO much and I started to struggle eating the last bit of the second piece of meat.
I did some research and found it was the butter that persuaded the brain to feel satiated. I ate the butter immediately and fried the chicken in '1 cal' spray.
I wasn't so greedy and portioned myself one chicken breast after the 2 oz butter one hour previous. I saved two chicken breasts per meal.
It was a revelation.

Since then, I have learned to recognise the 'satiaty switch' when eating. A long time ago, I heared about the "Appestat" nerve. I took it as Myth but lately researched the Vagus nerve and hunger control.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
PK99 said:
(SIS) work better SIS is more palatable i

You wearing the team jersey as well the musette as well for 'em???

I do like the colour scheme, I admit

but you can get all the base ingredients in larger quantities and at cheaper prices to sort out diy drinks for pre ride.. during ride .. post ride at home

PK99

Legendary Member
I am Spartacus said:
You wearing the team jersey as well the musette as well for 'em???

I do like the colour scheme, I admit

but you can get all the base ingredients in larger quantities and at cheaper prices to sort out diy drinks for pre ride.. during ride .. post ride at home

probably true - but saving pennies whe i look at the overall cost of cycling is not significant!

wyno70

I also use the SIS energy drinks and find them far more drinkable than most that are available.

I stay away from gels as I just don't like them. The 'Natural' bars are very nice but hard work once you've had a couple, so if you are on a very long ride, you might want to try something else.

I've recently tried and love the 'Clif Bars'. Absolutely delicious and definately give an energy kick.

For a long ride (70 miles plus), I'll have 1 natural bar, 1 Clif bar, 1 bottle full of SIS and one full of water. Once they are drained I just refill them with water and will probably grab a coke at the same time. That'll easily get me through 100 miles (with some water refills).

jimboalee

As pure energy goes, Greggs' jam doughnuts do the job. And you get six for a quid.

Alves

Soreen "Go" bars, sometimes available in Tesco, usually in Asda, pack of 4 costs about £1.50.
Tastes like Malt Loaf but chewier and even more delicious.
Don't use them when climbing or hill-walking in winter as they are tooth breakingly hard when very cold. Nice and chewy in summer tho'

dhague

On a 40-mile ride I did last weekend, I took along a SIS bar that I got from one of the Evans Ride-It events, and a ZipVit Uncoated chocolate bar from the £3.99 sampler pack I got a few weeks ago. The ZipVit bar won by miles - the packaging was easier to open, and the melted chocolate (it's *in* the bar, not on it) made it really easy to get down, plus which the natural bitterness of the chocolate made the whole thing less sweet-tasting. Frankly, it was lovely. :-) By comparison, the SIS bar was a bugger to open, was dryer & harder to chew, and as a result fell out of my hand after I'd only eaten half of it.

I'd order a box full of the ZipVits tomorrow, except that I'd really like them to stop selling shark cartilage pills first. Not a big fan of places that sell endangered species to eat...

Cheers,
Darren

jimboalee

This year, I'm collecting Brevet cards to claim a Brevet 2000 ( 20 x 100km ) cloth patch sometime next year.

I was lucky enough to be in Tesco when the young lady put 20 'Thin and crispy' pizzas on the Reduced for quick sale. £1.99 down to 63p.

All twenty are now in my freezer. Sorry, 17 remaining.

They are 880 calories each. I eat half the cooked pizza during the evening before a 100 km ride and the other half cold for breakfast before the ride.

Half way through the ride, at the turn, I grab a sandwich or cake and a bottle of Coke.

On a warm day, I get another bottle of Coke at the final control 25ish km from home.

No food or drink is carried ON the bike.

In my younger days, I would carry two bottles on the bike. One had water and the other had a 'syrup' of saturated glucose solution with salt and Ribena. Note, mix the salt and Ribena first because when the water is glucose saturated, there is no inter-molecular room left for the Ribena and it doesn't disolve.

yello

Jimbo, I get the message :blush:

No need for fancy dan energy drinks, gels and such like. Just visit your local supermarket for 'sell by date' reductions. :biggrin:

dhague

dhague said:
I'd order a box full of the ZipVits tomorrow, except that I'd really like them to stop selling shark cartilage pills first. Not a big fan of places that sell endangered species to eat...

This just in:

I sent an email to ZipVit to complain about them selling shark cartilage pills, and they replied to me today saying they will stop doing so! ;)

Very impressed with them. (Honestly, I have no connection with them at all, although I know I'm starting to sound like a walking advert! :biggrin:)

Cheers,
Darren

Dear Dr Hague

I appreciate your concerns

We are reliable told by our supplier that the shark is not actually killed
for the cartilage

This aside; we do think you have a valid point

As a result we will withdraw this product for sale after we have sold
existing stock

We anticipate that our current stock will last until November

Therefore you will not see this product in our January brochure and will not
be on the web-site in January

Many thanks again for your valued comments

Sarah Dinshaw
----- Original Message -----
To: <warren@zipvit.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2009 1:36 PM
Subject: Enquiry at ZipVit.com

> Customer's Name: Darren Hague
> Country: Uk
> Phone: 07736 403601
>
> Catalogue request: None
>
> Message: Thanks for your latest email about the ZipVit Summer Half Price
> Sale. I have found your sports nutrition range of products to be much
> better than anyone else's, and I would dearly love to spend hundreds of
> pounds a year on them, but unfortunately I will not do so unless you stop
> selling Shark Cartilage products, as Holland & Barrett have done. There is
> no clinical evidence for the effectiveness of these products, and as you
> are making no claims about the sustainability of your shark cartilage, it
> seems quite likely that you are contributing (perhaps unintentionally) to
> the decline of endangered species of shark.
>
>
> Best regards,
> Dr Darren Hague

Great result on the shark cartilage dh. Power to the people!

For what it's worth, I've just done my first "long" ride of 30 miles after switching from running to biking a couple of weeks ago and bought a High5 banana energy bar frommy local Up&Running which was really nice.

Taste like week-old bananas (if you like that sort of thing) and were soft and easily eatable. Washed down with a couple of swigs of water, no problems. Will be buying some more of these, and I'll give the ZipVit a try too.

Top Bottom