Energy drinks, bars, gels etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MJC

Regular
Last weekend I went out for a ride and still felt great after about 35 miles. However, within the next few miles I went downhill very fast (no pun intended!). By the time I got to 40 miles my legs had gone. I assume I just ran out of energy.

How much difference do energy bars / gels / drinks make? Obviously they'll help but is there a rule of thumb to give me an idea of the benefit they'll provide (eg + 10%)? How long do they take to take effect? Can anyone recommend any good ones?

Many thanks.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Enormous, eat something every half hour. But don't forget it doesn't have to be a sports product. Fig rolls, granola,bars, bananas are a few of many favs

RhythMick

Über Member
Drink regularly and start before you feel thirsty. Same applies to food. Rather than expensive energy drinks I prefer to use Jelly Babies. For me, flapjack and bars sit uncomfortably in the stomach waiting to be digested. Jellies just dissolve.

Again don't wait to bonk - regular small top ups are the thing. If I'm doing a long ride (70 miles is long for me mind) I will normally work on say 2 Jelly Babies every 15 or 20 minutes and plenty of water.

Both the above seem spot-on to me.

People differ, but I use water to stay hydrated. Just water.

My boy uses water most of the time, but for 70 miles in hot weather he'll use a weak dilution of fruit juice with maybe a pinch of salt in it.

For energy, I use fig rolls, Soreen fruit loaf, bananas.

Hydrate before leaving on your ride and make sure you've got enough food in your belly (but be aware that most people don't like to ride just after a meal. Porridge for breakfast an hour or so before a ride can help a lot.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Like RhytmMick I use Jelly Babies, but with raisins and mini malt-loaf. The Jelly Babies are for a personal treat if I've made it up a big climb.

I've got energy bars and gels but hardly ever use them.

What I do use is tablets dissolved into the drink to help.

D

Deleted member 20519

Both the above seem spot-on to me.

People differ, but I use water to stay hydrated. Just water.

My boy uses water most of the time, but for 70 miles in hot weather he'll use a weak dilution of fruit juice with maybe a pinch of salt in it.

For energy, I use fig rolls, Soreen fruit loaf, bananas.

Hydrate before leaving on your ride and make sure you've got enough food in your belly (but be aware that most people don't like to ride just after a meal. Porridge for breakfast an hour or so before a ride can help a lot.

Doesn't salt make you thirsty?

Brommyboy

Über Member
You add about enough SEA SALT to cover a 5p piece to the water bottle - that will not make you thirsty! Diluted fruit juice is as good, but less useful if you need to wash your hands in it!

I'm not talking about licking a salt block in a farmyard. :rolleyes:

I imagine most of the sport drinks you see the fat kids drinking on their way to school contain salt in one form or another.

Salt is naughty and it seeps out in our sweat. We seem to perform better as organisms whan we can replace that escaped salt.

Also (and this means nothing to me) the salt dissolved in the water render it isotonic and thus more easily absorbed bacause of some science stuff that bores me and which I'm too thick to grasp.

compo

Veteran
I use dilute fruit juice, Robisons Barley Water works for me. For food I like bananas and fig rolls. On a very long ride if not stopping at a cafe I just make up a few jam sandwiches to chuck in my panniers. I like malted fruit loaf as has been suggested but find it too sticky to eat with my false teeth.

D

Deleted member 20519

I'm not talking about licking a salt block in a farmyard. :rolleyes:

I imagine most of the sport drinks you see the fat kids drinking on their way to school contain salt in one form or another.

Salt is naughty and it seeps out in our sweat. We seem to perform better as organisms whan we can replace that escaped salt.

Also (and this means nothing to me) the salt dissolved in the water render it isotonic and thus more easily absorbed bacause of some science stuff that bores me and which I'm too thick to grasp.

Well I've learned something today, thanks :biggrin:

MattHB

Proud Daddy

when youve dehydrated, its mainly salts that your missing. If youre out for a long time, over 2 hours, especially if its warm youll need to rehydrate properly. Some people dont loose much salt, some loose loads (I do terribly) so you need to find what works for you. I loose so much salt that I get salt building up oin my helmet front pad with the sweat, which then runs into my eyes if I squeeze the helmet against my head! :eek: its not nice!

I use soluble rehydration tabs in plain water which work tremendously well for anything over 25 miles.

Also, Ive found jelly babies to be a sort of secret weapon.. they probably aught to be banned!

D

Deleted member 20519

Bananas seem to be the norm here, I love those things. Is that the best kind of fruit to take with you or is there other ones?

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Bananas seem to be the norm here, I love those things. Is that the best kind of fruit to take with you or is there other ones?

Bananas are good because they come in their own biodegradable carry case! but try all sorts of things. Everyone is very different in what their system can handle when under heavy load. I know some riders that feel sick if they have any solids at all, and some that dont. Best thing is to try stuff out :smile:

Yep :smile: theyll do the trick

Top Bottom