Energy drinks/fruit juice and getting fat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

Whenever I feel the need to drink energy drinks (redbull etc) (I know I shouldn't) I start to pile on the pounds. It doesn't matter how much pastry I eat, or beer I drink, I don't put on weight anything like I do when I drink energy drinks or fruit juice.

I need to find some sort of low calorie alternative with taurine in it. I can't stand the diet versions. Capsules?

I'm beginning to think coffee is actually good for me.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
hummm, I have a can of red bull, every morning pre-commute, caffine/bonk training, its help accelerate my weight loss

zacklaws

Guru
How many vodka's are you having with the red bulls as that will pack the weight on? But I would not have thought that it would be that fattening on its own.

If you just want Taurine and caffeine, I buy it from the following website:-

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/

Taurine 100g - £2.49
Caffeine 100g - £3.29

100g of caffeine I find will last well over a year at usage level of 200mg to 300mg preride, with sometimes 200mg or 150mg in each water bottle depending on how much I took preride, with no more than 600mg taken a day. To ensure accurate measurements I bought a small weighing scale off Ebay for about £6.00 that will weigh milligrams.

Far more cheaper than buying tins of red bull. I did buy some taurine far cheaper of Ebay a little while ago. I am begining to blame taurine though as my reason for not loosing weight as I have noticed my muscles are getting larger, especcially my thighs but I am getting thinner at the top and despite how much riding I do, my weight has been static for the past 3 months. So once I have used up my supply, I will see if it makes any difference to my performance without.

Globalti

Legendary Member
WTF is taurine?

You won't lose weight as you get fitter because muscle is heavier than fat and as you've noticed, you are building up muscle bulk.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It comes from bulls' bollocks and it sounds like bollocks. This is what Wikipedia says:

Taurine is regularly used as an ingredient in energy drinks, with many containing 1000mg per serving,[16] and some as much as 1,420 mg.[17] A 2003 study by the European Food Safety Authority found no adverse effects for up to 1,000 mg of Taurine per kilogram of bodyweight per day; however this was in regards to Taurine alone, noting they did not compare the effects of Taurine when combined with the other ingredients in energy drinks.[18]
A review published in 2008 found no documented reports of negative health effects associated with the amount of taurine used in energy drinks, concluding that "The amounts of guarana, taurine, and ginseng found in popular energy drinks are far below the amounts expected to deliver either therapeutic benefits or adverse events".[19]

....just another added "benefit" to bump up the price and unload your wallet than!

Hont

Guru
Probably need to check my facts, but I thought they only put taurine in high caffeine drinks to prevent a spike in blood pressure. Didn't think it actually did anything on its own.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
I'm a big coffee drinker. Coffee gives quite a distinct feeling. Some of these energy drinks though, the feeling is a little different. You just feel more focused, I can't explain it. Like you're completely wired. I have my coffee very strong, so there's definitely a lot of caffeine in it. And I often have three sugars.

This leads me to believe it's not the caffeine that's causing me to feel like that when consuming energy drinks. I mean it might be all that excess sugar but it's a feeling I'm not familar with.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I dont think caffiene should cause you to gain weight, its probly the sugars, I drink about 8 cups of coffee a day and lose weight at a good rate. I recall when I used to play rugby people in our weights gym used to claim caffeine has weight loss boosting properties and used to use it in their fat burning supplement "stacks". I cant remember the reasons they used to say but something to do with raising your resting heart rate probably, I dont know much about this stuff though. People came up with allsorts of stuff after ephidrine was banned.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
people in our weights gym used to claim caffeine has weight loss boosting
I love coffee but I find too much caffeine makes me feel nauseus and well, feeling nauseus makes me want to eat stuff to quell the nausea. It's a vicious cycle.

What's worse too, is that cannabis is a very effective treatment for nausea. Friends of mine often get nausea after drinking too much caffinated beverages so they resort to cannabis. My best mate is currently trying to cut down his weed intake, his problem doesn't seem to be the weed, more the caffeine that keeps forcing him to take it lol.

To make matters worse he then gets the munchies, and if he overdoes it, he feels tired in the morning and has to drink more coffee. Another vicious circle.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Riverman said:
I love coffee but I find too much caffeine makes me feel nauseus and well, feeling nauseus makes me want to eat stuff to quell the nausea. It's a vicious cycle.

What's worse too, is that cannabis is a very effective treatment for nausea. Friends of mine often get nausea after drinking too much caffinated beverages so they resort to cannabis. My best mate is currently trying to cut down his weed intake, his problem doesn't seem to be the weed, more the caffeine that keeps forcing him to take it lol.

To make matters worse he then gets the munchies, and if he overdoes it, he feels tired in the morning and has to drink more coffee. Another vicious circle.

To much makes me feel shakey and gives me the cold sweats, but thats when you exceed your bodys limits for the substance in a given time, if you enjoy it, have it, but not so much that you feel ill and have to stuff your face to stop the ill feeling :becool: same can be said for most things.

darkstar

Riverman said:
I'm a big coffee drinker. Coffee gives quite a distinct feeling. Some of these energy drinks though, the feeling is a little different. You just feel more focused, I can't explain it. Like you're completely wired. I have my coffee very strong, so there's definitely a lot of caffeine in it. And I often have three sugars.

This leads me to believe it's not the caffeine that's causing me to feel like that when consuming energy drinks. I mean it might be all that excess sugar but it's a feeling I'm not familar with.
Are you sure thats no the placebo effect, where you drink this energy drink in it's nice shinny packaging, you believe before even drinking it it's going to make you feel better?

Top Bottom