energy gels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

If you ate a ridiculous amount of them at once, say 50 of them - would you pass out?
Would you suffer any other adverse effects, such as overheating or something?

Abitrary

I think the received wisdom is that after 10 or so it's usually mild symptoms such as giggling and loss of coordination. About 20 it's auditory hallucination and paranoia. 40 would cause overheating or something, and 50 would almost certainly induce pancreatic slowdown.

You would perhaps fall off your bike bonj, due to the wind catching in the ultra large pockets in the back of your jersey - needed to tote all that High 5.
Make sure you try it with Caffiene+ and then head for the South...shouldn't take you too long! :biggrin::angry:

monnet

Guru
Read the side of the 'GO Gels'. It recommends consumption of 3-4 per hour of exercise, no more than 60 a day. Personally it's not an experiment I want to try - a couple of gels in the last 90mins of a 100 miler are enough to haveme bouncing off the walls.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Disgruntled Goat said:
We produce something called insulin. Look it up sometime Bonj.

Slight OT. What would happen if you covered yourself in nicotine patches?

I know ! there's a fella at my work who injects it into himself every so often, 'cos of diabetes. How would loads of energy gels affect insulin?
oH and nicotine patches don't do anything, they're a placebo. But an effective one.

Abitrary

alecstilleyedye said:
someone here once described energy gels as being like flavoured semen ;)

I'd much rather suck sachets of tomato ketchup.

Why can't people just bring a small snack chocolate bar like a 'penguin' instead of showing off by sucking on energy gels and throwing the wrapper forcefully on the ground afterwards, as if it had made them strong already.

yello

Abitrary said:
throwing the wrapper forcefully on the ground afterwards

I have no problem with people who use gels but that does bug me. Can't it go back in the pocket it came out of?

walker

Eating that many gels would result in cronic diarhea, and I mean cronic, not advised.

If your exercising while doing it it would result in a huge sugar rush, performance would go to a new level for around 10 minutes before the body gets tired or trying to convert all that energy and you'd just fatigue rather quickly.

I'm sure that's what would happen, the Diahrea is a given though

Once did a triathlon round one of the most scenic parts of Scotland - the Isle of Arran.

The only person to throw his energy gel packets on the ground was the American :biggrin:

jashburnham

I don't think they work for me, did London Brighton London on sat and was in dire need of carbs at around 60 miles, sucked down 2 gels and it had no effect. Ended up stopping at 70 and eating a Mars and pack of crisps in about 10 seconds flat - now that did the trick. Am thinking Mars bars maybe the way forward come the etape, they taste a whole lot nicer as well...

walker

jashburnham said:
I don't think they work for me, did London Brighton London on sat and was in dire need of carbs at around 60 miles, sucked down 2 gels and it had no effect. Ended up stopping at 70 and eating a Mars and pack of crisps in about 10 seconds flat - now that did the trick. Am thinking Mars bars maybe the way forward come the etape, they taste a whole lot nicer as well...

the possiblity is that you depleted your carb stores and the gels only was able to supply you with enough to keep you awake, the gels should of been taken on earlier, they take around 10 minutes to take effect.

Mars bars, filled with sugar, will give you a sudden rush, but about 20 minutes after eating your back to square one

jashburnham

I hadn't fuelled properly at all that day, small breakfast and Go Electrolyte mix in the bidons, paid for it. Joking aside I will be taking Malt Loaf on the etape along with haribo and energy bars. Those gels are just foul.

Top Bottom