Engine size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
In a previous life as a civil servant (central government not local government)there was a bicycle allowance for travelling on business. Can't recall the amount but it was less than the motor car amount at the time. All done in pence/mile IIRC. Never claimed it (the bike allowance) as my travel tended to be >100 miles out and then of course I wanted to be back home the same day too.

asterix

Comrade Member
A manager I worked for once (a real b*st*rd as it turned out) in the private sector told me to use the company fuel account at the local garage. He said I was to use as much as I needed.

Looking back, it was probably the strangest period of employment I ever had and I didn't stay long. A few years later the Financial Director's body was discovered in Glen Coe after he went missing.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
asterix said:
A manager I worked for once (a real b*st*rd as it turned out) in the private sector told me to use the company fuel account at the local garage. He said I was to use as much as I needed.

Looking back, it was probably the strangest period of employment I ever had and I didn't stay long. A few years later the Financial Director's body was discovered in Glen Coe after he went missing.

I hope you got him to put that in Black and White :smile:

simoncc

Elmer Fudd said:
Aah, so go with the flow of corruption then simon, instead of like on here saying "that isn't right !!"

Pot, kettle.

Double standards.

Taxpaying scrounger.

What are your thoughts on asylum seekers/travellers etc. preying (sic.) deliberately !!!!)) on society, please tell, as an upstanding citizen of the community ?

I told the council how many business miles I'd done, and details of my vehicle. They decided what to pay me. I took it. That's how the system works. I made loads of cash out of it. It taught me just how careful councils are with our cash, and that we should ignore their whining about being short of money.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
simoncc said:
I told the council how many business miles I'd done, and details of my vehicle. They decided what to pay me. I took it. That's how the system works. I made loads of cash out of it.
Glad to hear you did the right thing and declared it on your tax return......OH ! :ohmy: OOPS !
siimoncc said:
.................we should ignore their whining about being short of money.
Course we should, when it's in your back pocket and taken out of ours, put it towards your TV licence fee !!! :smile:

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Simon - my tongue-in-cheek comment nearly merited this being in Soapbox! As far as I'm concerned, you did nothing wrong. You were honest with your employer, and it is their responsibility if they basically have to pay you too much because they don't have the wherewithal to cope with motorbikes instead of cars.
Having also worked in local government, I know that this is not where the major waste of money is, it is rather excess numbers of assistent chief of this that and the other, and the expensive Swedish furniture ordered for the top dogs or wallpaper at 300 quid a roll that is waste.

bonj2

I ordered £50 of goods from Wiggle last week. They messed up the order. Then refunded me twice.

They decided what to pay me. I took it.

Of course I didn't. I told them about it and made sure that I returned the money that I didn't deserve.

if you were playing poker with Bill Gates, you had quads, but he raises and you've put him on a full house. Would you fold out of sympathy? :smile:

bonj2

Elmer Fudd said:
Glad to hear you did the right thing and declared it on your tax return......OH ! :ohmy: OOPS !

Course we should, when it's in your back pocket and taken out of ours, put it towards your TV licence fee !!! :smile:

a phrase I was always brought up to learn: "better in my pocket than theirs!"

simoncc

Unkraut said:
Simon - my tongue-in-cheek comment nearly merited this being in Soapbox! As far as I'm concerned, you did nothing wrong. You were honest with your employer, and it is their responsibility if they basically have to pay you too much because they don't have the wherewithal to cope with motorbikes instead of cars.
Having also worked in local government, I know that this is not where the major waste of money is, it is rather excess numbers of assistent chief of this that and the other, and the expensive Swedish furniture ordered for the top dogs or wallpaper at 300 quid a roll that is waste.

Of course I accepted the money. I fully explained the situation, and the council made a decision to pay me what it did. Who am I to question the decision of the 'local authority' on such matters?

When I worked as teacher for the same council a year or two later, the school was short of textbooks, short of staff, had a leaking roof in the gym and was always trying to raise cash for equipment - a normal state of affairs even today. When staff moaned about the cash shortages I often thought of the council's other staff in their nearby offices boosting their monthly mileage and meal allowance claims by careful and cynical use of a badly administered system.

simoncc

Just think, if you'd given the money back which wasn't rightly yours, the roof would not have been so leaky and you wouldn't have deprived the kids of their textbooks.

Shame on you.

The money was rightfully mine. The local authority on mileage allowances told me it was. Who are you to question the professional staff working in that council's expenses dept?

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Smokin Joe said:
I would put your maximum heart-rate down as engine size and carbohydrate for fuel. As for the output, why not send them a sample.

I think your getting mixed up with exhaust output. Can you say how such a sample could be sent.

No-one yet able to give a capacity.

Bonj, the last time I checked a pedal cycle was a legal road going vehicle.
Correct form is being used as there is only one. But this is geared towards motor vehicles. All parts to be completed.

For the record, its a trade licence for the local tip(recycling centre).

bonj2

Just think, if you'd given the money back which wasn't rightly yours, the roof would not have been so leaky and you wouldn't have deprived the kids of their textbooks.

Shame on you.

Have you never worked in the public sector then?

bonj2

classic33 said:
Bonj, the last time I checked a pedal cycle was a legal road going vehicle.
Correct form is being used as there is only one. But this is geared towards motor vehicles. All parts to be completed.

For the record, its a trade licence for the local tip(recycling centre).

Well presumably, they're going to be wanting to know about the vehicle the waste's going to be taken there in, not what you consider your every day/favourite 'vehicle'! :smile: duh! :ohmy:

bonj2

• The money was meant for someone with a vehicle of a higher engine capacity, higher mpg and higher running costs than your bike.

• Well you know what the solution to that one is then don't you?

[*]There was nothing stopping you taking responsibility for this overpayment, making your own calculation, and returning the money that you shouldn't have kept.
    Just ask yourself the question what do you think the council are going to do with the money you pay back to them?

Top Bottom