Engine size

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by classic33, 11 Sep 2007.

  1. classic33

    classic33 Legendary Member

    Question with regards to completing a council form. Everything is geared towards motor vehicles.
    They need to know the engine size, output & fuel.
    Anyone got any ideas for these three remaining hurdles.
    It is a pedal cycle by the way.
  2. Smokin Joe

    Smokin Joe Legendary Member

    I would put your maximum heart-rate down as engine size and carbohydrate for fuel. As for the output, why not send them a sample.
  3. Elmer Fudd

    Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

    Weigh yourself,every kg is 1000cc so multiply by weight, that's your engine size
    Output is dependant on how hard you push the pedals or you could find this would give a better representation
    Fuel is O, N, CO2 plus CO1
  4. Will1985

    Will1985 Über Member

    South Norfolk
    Is this some sort of travel expenses form?
  5. simoncc

    simoncc New Member

    Years ago I worked for a council and had to visit places around the district in the course of my work. I had a Honda 125cc motorbike. When I first filled in the expenses form, I was asked the engine capacity of my car. I rang county hall and asked what I should do. They told me that the simplest thing would be to claim for the smallest capacity of car. I got so much money in the next 4 months that I paid off my bank loan for the motorbike. The bike did about 120 miles per gallon.
  6. papercorn2000

    papercorn2000 Senior Member

    Whilst at college, I was able to ride in and claim for a bus pass. Result.
  7. Maggot

    Maggot Guest

    I had a similar experience to Simoncc. Whilst a student nurse, I did a community CPN placement. I too had a cg125, and was told to claim for 1.1l car, as the NHS had no system for allowing claims on smaller engine sizes:biggrin:
  8. Jacomus-rides-Gen

    Jacomus-rides-Gen New Member

    Guildford / London

    When I was filling out a traffic form with the policeman who was noting down the details of my first crash on my roadbike, he got to the bit of his form that required engine capacity etc.

    He gave a tut and cursed his form a bit and then told me that the average cyclist was worth 10cc in engine capacity, but he would upgrade me to 12cc because I looked a little over average :smile: I don't know how true it is, but I've quite liked thinking of myself in those terms a few times.
  9. Unkraut

    Unkraut Master of the Inane Comment

    Which means a decent, hard-working responsible citizen like me was being fleeced rates, poll tax, council tax or whatever, just to pay off the bike loan of a worker they employed to ride around the countryside.

    I hope the BBC doubles the licence fee .... :smile:
  10. bonj2

    bonj2 Guest

    If you're filling in a form for a vehicle, then you're filling in the wrong form, because your cycle isn't a vehicle. What is the form for?
  11. No, of course it isn't. And I'm a hatstand !

  12. simoncc

    simoncc New Member

    You weren't being fleeced. I was paid the rate the elected council decided was appropriate to my claim. You were simply a victim of the council's inability to be careful with the public's money. I know how bungling councils can be in this respect. I speak from personal experience.
  13. papercorn2000

    papercorn2000 Senior Member

    Especially when there are crooks willing to twist the system to their own ends. Still, I suppose it means that you can't really criticise people who sponge off the taxpayer under false pretences.
  14. simoncc

    simoncc New Member

    Yes I can. There were no false pretences in my case. I told the council that I had a 125cc motorbike and how many miles I'd been on council business and they paid me what they considered appropriate. What made me laugh was that when I first returned from a job my boss took me aside and told me that I'd made a fundamental error by going out early and returning before lunch. The best thing to do, he said, was to go out at about 11am and return in the afternoon, so becoming eligible to claim a lunch allowance. As I said, I have personal experience about how careful councils are with our cash.
  15. papercorn2000

    papercorn2000 Senior Member

    So you wilfully took advantage and squandered OUR money! I really don't see where you have a leg to stand on when it comes to criticising anyone in local or national government for squandering money. At the very least you could have set an example instead of following the crowd like a sheep.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice