England FC - apparently the team lost...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In truth there were more questions raised than answered in a performance that was neither impressive nor depressive, but rather one of middling proportions.
Extract from Sporting Life.

Will the players step up to the plate, hold their hands up (apart from, it seems, the goalie :biggrin: ) take the positives from this and continue on their learning curve...
... or just have a game of cards and quaff a few bottles of 'Crystal' champers?

England seem to be, to paraphrase George Formby... "leaning on the lampard at the corner of the street..."

What advice could the guvnor, Mr McClaren give to his elite, highly rewarded professionals in order to elicit team performance of the highest quality?

And why is there such a difference in the sound of 'singing' at Wembley compared to, say Twickenham?

How easy is it to commentate on a football match Trevor? xx(
:biggrin:

Keith Oates

Janner
"And why is there such a difference in the sound of 'singing' at Wembley compared to, say Twickenham?"

Because Twickenham is Rugby which is superior in all aspects. (Not only that but there may well be a lot of Welsh people at Twickers, and they can sing)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Welsh only sing about bl**dy great fishes Keith - they are often all at sea during a game so I suppose it's ok... :biggrin:

(OT) let's get back to standing up and being counted... "Let's start with you Ferdinand - something doesn't quite add up" xx(

Melvil

Well....Lampard is still rubbish even though he scored. Beckham was atrocious, passes going all over the place, no real part to play, shouldn't have been on the pitch. Some of the others distinctly mediocre.

However, Micah Richards shined on the right side in the first half, which was good to see and Joe Cole was working his usual running magic. Thing is, from the beginning of the second half onwards England slowly reverted back to their default mode of play - 'if in doubt, hoof it out' - hit long and hope someone's on the end of it!

England play like an expensive bike with badly fitted components - you know if should be better, you paid so much for it, but can't work out which part to fix first!!!!!

asterix

Comrade Member
got-to-get-fit;47753][QUOTE=Aperitif said:
The Welsh only sing about bl**dy great fishes Keith - they are often all at sea during a game so I suppose it's ok... :biggrin:

......And Valleys, whats so bloody great about valleys?

..depends.. What sort of valleys?

Don't forget Church's... :biggrin:

Tetedelacourse

Another example of how ridiculously self-inflated their opinions are of their own abilities.

I used to think it would be scary if England ever got their act together, but now I see that they have always been performing at their best, which is simply mediocre in world terms, and the hype is completely unjustified.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Can England clone Micah Richards? Rather like Owen Hargreaves (sadly and noticeably missing) it's not so much his talent (which he has in spades), but his attitude to the game which is so uncynical and enthusiastic, that is so refreshing. Mind you Richards does also have great footwork and ball skills for a big man - apparently because he played a lot of Futbal de Salao (Brazilian indoor football) when he was young. There are a lot more young players being brought up with this now, so this is a good sign for the future. Too few British players are comfortable on the ball and actually have the real option of running or passing, and certainly not many defenders. I know he plays as a central defender for Man City, but to me, he reminds me much more of Brazilian wing-backs, and that's how we should use him - if the rest of the team can cope, that is...

Sean Wright-Phillips also looked good when he came on, unlike Dyer.

England also need a new keeper. David James is okay as an experienced back-up, but why is Robert Green not even in the squad? He should be the No.1... Robinson is hopeless. There's also nothing wrong with dropping keepers when they are out of form and bringing in others...

Melvil

Flying_Monkey said:
Can England clone Micah Richards? Rather like Owen Hargreaves (sadly and noticeably missing) it's not so much his talent (which he has in spades), but his attitude to the game which is so uncynical and enthusiastic, that is so refreshing. Mind you Richards does also have great footwork and ball skills for a big man - apparently because he played a lot of Futbal de Salao (Brazilian indoor football) when he was young. There are a lot more young players being brought up with this now, so this is a good sign for the future. Too few British players are comfortable on the ball and actually have the real option of running or passing, and certainly not many defenders. I know he plays as a central defender for Man City, but to me, he reminds me much more of Brazilian wing-backs, and that's how we should use him - if the rest of the team can cope, that is...

Sean Wright-Phillips also looked good when he came on, unlike Dyer.

England also need a new keeper. David James is okay as an experienced back-up, but why is Robert Green not even in the squad? He should be the No.1... Robinson is hopeless. There's also nothing wrong with dropping keepers when they are out of form and bringing in others...

Also, was it me or did Robinson look like he was about to cry a couple of times last night?

monnet

Guru
I second the idea of more Salao. Having lived in Spain and Argentina, where salao is 'sala' I was amazed at the skills the young kids had compared to kids the same age here. The footballing culture is so different. They play on smaller pitches with lighter balls and as their skills are translated on to full size pitches. Alright the Spanish are as bad as us for under achieving but the standard of grass roots football is so much higher. And as for the Argentines...I still have nightmares about playing against them!

As for RObinson, if he wasn't about to cry, he should have been. He was appalling.

Jaded

Flying_Monkey said:
Mind you Richards does also have great footwork and ball skills for a big man

He is only 5' 11", small for a central defender. He just looks big because of the way he plays!

Top Bottom