England - where to go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EmGee DK

EmGee DK

mmmm... refreshments.... surely they must be enough reason for anyone to go cycling...

Norfolk... thats ahhmm... East Anglia like Bigtallbloke suggested too or am I as confused as my doctor thinks I am?

Ill teach you danish in a [insert funny and/or witty expression for "quick" here]

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just as a thought have you considered using the ferry? It would take a bit longer but relieve the concern about your bike and mean you don't have to worry about hire. Getting a decent bike on hire will be tricky.

Esbjerg to Harwich is 16 hours but would leave you very well located to tour in East Anglia and arrive back at the port. I'd hazard a guess it wouldn't take much more time than flying once you consider the check in time, hassle with the bike, baggage reclaim and then having to cycle out of London. I preseume you are flying into Heathrow?

wafflycat

EmGee DK said:
mmmm... refreshments.... surely they must be enough reason for anyone to go cycling...

Norfolk... thats ahhmm... East Anglia like Bigtallbloke suggested too or am I as confused as my doctor thinks I am?

Ill teach you danish in a [insert funny and/or witty expression for "quick" here]

Norfolk is part of East Anglia. Here you go:-

http://www.visitnorfolk.co.uk/norfolk/default.aspx

Useful map for cycling:-

http://www.goldeneyemaps.com/cycling_norfolk.php

Other very good general purpose maps:-

Ordnance Survey Landranger (1:50000) sheets 132, 133, 134, 143, 144

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/

World's greatest Team CSC fan lives in Norfolk....

Brum016.jpg

OP
OP
EmGee DK

EmGee DK

Paul: I sure did consider the ferry. But it was more than double up on the price. I am still considering it though, mainly because of the reasons you mention and I not keen on flying anyhow. But flying IS cheap. And I like cheap.

Cheers Ms Cat. It sounds and looks nice in Norfolk. Hate to say I've given up on pro cycling since the you know who(s) did the you know what.

Bigtallfatbloke

Maybe hug the coast a bit closer approximatly like this perhaps:

I would stay away from the main A roads and just ride on B roads or smaller. Lot's of nice villages in Norfolk and some wonderful beaches as well (especially Holkham beach which was the beach at the end of the film Shakespeare in love). Thetford forest is nice as well.

I second the advice about wet weather clothes..last August I spent 10 days riding aroung this route in the pissing rain and freezing cold.

orbiter

Norfolk's a lovely place but isn't it mostly as flat as Denmark?

From Gatwick Airport, South into Sussex and Kent would be more convenient - with nice hills and scenery and no time & money wasted on trains. You could even cycle into London. Take a look at Sustrans Sussex

Pete

I was also going to suggest the Ferry.

Lots of dutch, danish and other continentals take the ferry across and cycle

Try the Hull to Harwich Route which takes in Lincoln, Norwich and some wonderful castles and churches

Tony

If you are going to try the delights of East Anglia.....what I did a couple of years ago (in February...):
I live almost in Gatwick Airport. Train from airport to London Bridge. Ride North to Liverpool St station. Train to Ipswich. From Ipswich, through Woodbridge to Dunwich. Over little bridge to Southwold (Adnams Brewery), then Lowestoft, Gt Yarmouth, round coast through Caister and inland past Hinckling, through Broads to Stalham, up to Cromer and back down to Norwich. Train back to Liverpool St, ride to London Bridge, train to Gatwick.

Tony

linfordlunchbox said:
If you can get yourself to Reading from Stansted, get on to the Kennet and Avon Canal and follow it through to Bath (Bristol) (140km from Reading). Mostly road free on the canal path which was restored over the last 30 years cutting through many nice towns, and beautiful countryside.

http://www.canaljunction.com/canal/kennet_avon.htm
And picking up Linford's suggestion, there are trains from Gatwick to Reading, but will require a cycle reservation when buying ticket

HE SAID HE'S FLYING TO GATWICK, LINF

LLB

Tony said:
And picking up Linford's suggestion, there are trains from Gatwick to Reading, but will require a cycle reservation when buying ticket

HE SAID HE'S FLYING TO GATWICK, LINF

:evil: Missed that one

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Tony said:
If you are going to try the delights of East Anglia.....what I did a couple of years ago (in February...):
I live almost in Gatwick Airport. Train from airport to London Bridge. Ride North to Liverpool St station. Train to Ipswich. From Ipswich, through Woodbridge to Dunwich. Over little bridge to Southwold (Adnams Brewery), then Lowestoft, Gt Yarmouth, round coast through Caister and inland past Hinckling, through Broads to Stalham, up to Cromer and back down to Norwich. Train back to Liverpool St, ride to London Bridge, train to Gatwick.

Nice route Tony. By the way Emgee Ryan Air fly from Arhus to London Stanstead for cheaper what you could fly Aalborg to Gatwick. If I had a choice of which side to catch the train then I would train your end as your trains are much more reliable, cleaner and cheaper and I would think you would have less hassle getting your bike on as well. The airport shuttle bus goes from right outside Arhus train station to the airport and from memory last time I used this it was only DKK 100

Top Bottom