England - where to go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EmGee DK

EmGee DK

Bigtallfatbloke said:
if you want to read a little about a small tour in east anglia i did here is the thread from last year:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2185&highlight=east+anglia+tour

This was a most interesting and inspirational read Bigfella, and I rcommend it to everyone who hasnt read it. I salute your stamina both mentally as physical. Did you any more "roadreports" like this? I sure would like to hear a report if you go to Normandie, since thats on my list too for the same reason you mention. But sofar I've been less fond of the idea, since I cant speak french to save my life or to order a beer. Dont know whats worse.

Fatfellafromfelixstowe: The Ryan Air from Aarhus is a highvalue tip! I didnt know that! Thank you!!

About the ferry. I checked the prices again today and a roundtrip Esbjerg-Harwich is - pardon me if I curse wrongly - a sodding 320£. I'm flabbergasted (again pardon me - I really need to learn propper english swearing, I know). But the hasle of packing and unpacking my bike for the planetrip is a BIG disadvantage. Not to mention the silly looks I'll be getting when I'm wearing my bikehelmet on monkey-class.

Having summoned the information I found on the webpages many of you were kind enough to post - and the reading of the Legendary Tale of Bigfella, I've set my sight on the Thames Valley for the bigger summer tour - dang that Sustran webpage is good, however the map is really really slow. But I'm tempted to make a shorter trip in late April - Norfolk - if I can get my bottom half in shape and the weather shows some kind of reasoning.

I'm going to go to my local bikepusher to see if my Merida Roadlite can be upgraded as a tourbike or if I have to get a new one. So first stage will be getting my gear upgraded. Stage two will be planning the route and I will post a link here to a more acurate google map. Stage 3 is the "how to get there".

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Hi EmGee, no problem. I will actually be in Denmark next week however this time flying into Billund as I have to be in Esbjerg for a few days working. Last time I caught the train from Aarhus to Esbjerg (3 hours +) as Ryan air were for some reason not flying on the days / times that I wanted. What's the weather like at there at the moment ?

OP
OP
EmGee DK

EmGee DK

Hate to tell you, but its really cold mate... we had snow for easter and I guess it was snowing in the western and southern part to day. Up here it was quite nice though. It should get better next week according to the forecast.

Have a nice trip here! If you got some spare time on your hands might I suggest a trip to Fanø. Ferry from Esbjerg takes about 15 min. Its real nice there.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
EmGee DK said:
Hate to tell you, but its really cold mate... we had snow for easter and I guess it was snowing in the western and southern part to day. Up here it was quite nice though. It should get better next week according to the forecast.

Have a nice trip here! If you got some spare time on your hands might I suggest a trip to Fanø. Ferry from Esbjerg takes about 15 min. Its real nice there.

OK thanks sounds much like what we have over here at the moment. I aim to do a bit of work with a lot of drinking so depends on hangover and timing as to how much free time I have.

ASC1951

Guru
domtyler said:
Rubbish.

Start in Central London and ride for half an hour in any direction and you'll be in the countryside.
Really? Start in Central London and drive for half an hour in any direction and six days a week you'll still be in Central London.

You can walk across Leeds in half an hour. That's why we live here. :girl:

linfordlunchbox said:
If you can get yourself to Reading from Stansted, get on to the Kennet and Avon Canal and follow it through to Bath (Bristol) (140km from Reading). Mostly road free on the canal path which was restored over the last 30 years cutting through many nice towns, and beautiful countryside.

http://www.canaljunction.com/canal/kennet_avon.htm

I have a nice route in one of my "New" ;) cycle touring books from Bath down to Cornwall

Or Look Here

Simon

ASC1951

Guru
Cathryn said:
Yeah but there's nothing to do in Leeds. That's why we want to go back down south :blush:
Half a dozen swimming pools, two climbing walls, the Hyde Park cinema, the Northern School of Contemporary Dance, the Playhouse, the Corner Cafe (Leeds best curry house IMO), more good pubs than you can shake a stick at....that's enough for me.

I've gravitated north from my first job in Southampton and wouldn't want to live any further south than Sheffield now.

Bigtallfatbloke

I went to Leeds once.

£19.50 overnight sleeper train from Euston to Inverness, no issues taking the bike on board as it has a proper guards van. Lovely people stunning country, cheaper than doon sooth too.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
ASC1951 said:
I've gravitated north from my first job in Southampton and wouldn't want to live any further south than Sheffield now.

That must be wrong, gravity tends to make people fall south at a rate of 9.81 m/s. That's why London is full up.;)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
ASC1951 said:
Half a dozen swimming pools, two climbing walls, the Hyde Park cinema, the Northern School of Contemporary Dance, the Playhouse, the Corner Cafe (Leeds best curry house IMO), more good pubs than you can shake a stick at....that's enough for me.

That corner cafe is run by the the offspring of the owner of original Corner Cafe in Sheepscar which closed quite a long time ago. The original was superior to the offspring's. The Aagrah under the BBC studios near the Playhouse is a finer establishment.

There's plenty of greenery in Leeds. It's a much cleaner and safer city than it was when I first arrived here thirty two years ago.

The only think lacking is a decent concert venue. The odd event at Roundhay Park or Elland Road don't cut the mustard when compared with what Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle can offer.

Leeds is well placed to access the countryside and many of my DIY Audaxes start in Meanwood and radiate out into North and West Yorkhire and when I'm feeling really fit, Lincolnshire and County Durham.

ASC1951

Guru
vernon said:
That corner cafe is run by the the offspring of the owner of original Corner Cafe in Sheepscar which closed quite a long time ago. The original was superior to the offspring's. The Aagrah under the BBC studios near the Playhouse is a finer establishment.
The original Corner Cafe in Buslingthorpe Lane was certainly a much more studenty, of-its-time, place (remember the adverts inside the door for Sophie Hatch's Circle Dancing Weekends and the Women's Re-Birthing Workshops?) but it couldn't have survived like that for much longer. I've been going to that and its successor every Thursday since 1975 - I must have moved to Leeds at the same time as you, Vernon - and for my taste the food at Burleigh Road is better.

I've not tried the Aagrah. Most of the curry houses in Leeds suffer from dim lights or furry wallpaper or too much meat and I stick with the Corner Cafe because I know the family.

It is a top town, though, Leeds. I've lived in Guildford, Southampton, Bath, the West Midlands and Wakefield and for general living and good access to the outdoors Leeds takes some beating.

Top Bottom