English punctuation rule?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
A colleague said that you do not use possessive apostrophes when the letters are in upper case.
Tony's bike.
TONYS BIKE.

I've never heard of this. Is she correct?

Pete

Is your colleague ...(better put that in the plural) ... are your colleague's greengrocer's, by any chance? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Yerrss, thanks for that.
I thought she was talking bollocks.
I politely informed her at the time that I considered that she was mistaken.

Carwash

Señor Member
Perhaps your friend was confusing the apostrophe with the acute accent in French? As I understand it, accents are optional in all-caps French.

Maz

Guru
Pete said:
Is your colleague ...(better put that in the plural) ... are your colleague's greengrocer's, by any chance? :rolleyes::biggrin::biggrin:
Are your colleague's greengrocer's what?
You didn't finish the sentence.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
:rolleyes:

Many, many years ago I worked part-time as a grocerers delivery boy complete with bike with small front wheel and large basket above, three speed Sturmey Archer on the back and a sign hanging from the crossbar :wacko:.

Slightly off track but...
Here in Basingstoke they have an Ice Hockey team that for about ten years was called the Basinstoke Bisons. Finally they realised the plural of Bison was still Bison so took the s off the end.

Americans seem to be to blame for taking all the ''' out of names. Especially film titles. Schindler's List got through but they seem to want to tidy up most titles.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
*shakes his head*
You are all so wrong... if you use capital letters, then, obviously, you have to use the capital "'" .. it is completely different than the lower case "'" :wacko:

Andrew

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Yorkshireman said:
Many, many years ago I worked part-time as a grocerers delivery boy complete with bike with small front wheel and large basket above, three speed Sturmey Archer on the back and a sign hanging from the crossbar :smile:.

how many grocerers? one and it's grocerer’s, two or more and it’s grocerers’ :biggrin::wacko:

(and it is not just grocer?)

Top Bottom