English speaking countries for cycle touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'd recommend northern Scotland - anywhere north and west of Inverness and Glasgow. Underpopulated apart from a gazillion midges, mostly decently quiet roads (as long as you avoid a couple of obvious exceptions), and the scenery is so different from England that it might as well be abroad.

FTFY

aberal

Guru
Yes I kind of fancy it. I've traveled around there years ago but not cycling. I thought maybe the gaps might be a bit large and places to stay a bit sparse, especially NT and WA? I suppose Victoria, NSW and Queensland still leaves lots to see.

I did Brisbane to Adelaide - via Sydney, Canberra (avoid) Melbourne and Tasmania. It was all good. If I were to make reccomendations for any part of the trip it would be to take the route I did between Sydney & Melbourne via the Snowy Mountains and take a whirl round Tasmania and along the Great Ocean Road while you're at it. There is rarely more than 30 miles between food stops/cafes/pubs and plenty of really lovely camp sites along the way.

bigjim

Legendary Member
German's are super friendly and also speak great English....strange !
Thats what I thought until I rode down the Danube last year. The older generation speak very little or no English at all. I had learnt some German and managed with this but at times I was completely stumped. I'm talking about small villages not large towns or cities. I eventually realised that it was far better approaching the younger generation for directions etc as their English tended to be quite good. However one of the best older generation English speakers I met was a street sweeper in a remote village. Lovely country. Would return.

Top Bottom