Enjoying my new Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Last year I bought an S2L and only started using it this week. I love it coz it's its the same speed as my road bike when commuting. The rb is obvsly faster but the brommie doesn't need to hang around at red lights. When they approach, I whip off the bike, run across like a pedestrian, and hop back on. Very little time loss, it's great!

And storing it is great. Still getting accustomed to folding/unfolding quickly and seatpost seems a tad sticky (I have black edition extended seatpost).

Loads of fun and so nippy in traffic. No faff with clipless pedals either, incredibly manoeuvrable. I like!

Hope you all are enjoying yours too.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Clipless versus flat pedals, I guess.

But it's rare there's any significant benefit in doing it. I can think of exactly two junctions in London where it's worthwhile, and only then if the lights have only just turned red.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
Why do you run across red lights with your Brompton, if you don't so with a real bike?

Real bike? Are you suggesting a brommie isn't a real bike? :smile:

But to answer, the brommie is very easy for me to dismount. Larger bikes are OK to dismount but I just can't seem to be bothered to dismount them. Brommie has a low frame, a bit like a ladies town bike.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
Clipless versus flat pedals, I guess.

But it's rare there's any significant benefit in doing it. I can think of exactly two junctions in London where it's worthwhile, and only then if the lights have only just turned red.

My road bike takes 50 mins for the commute, stopping at every red light. The brommie takes 1h stopping at every light. Running on red takes 50mins on brommie so it kinda all adds up. (20km and many traffic lights).

CopperBrompton

I'm surprised. Are you waiting for the pedestrian cycle or just darting across between traffic?

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
I'm surprised. Are you waiting for the pedestrian cycle or just darting across between traffic?
As I'm rolling up to the red lights, I've.already taken my right leg and whipped it over the top tube and placed it near my left leg. As I slow down and I'll towards the red light, I'll get off the bike and walk on the pavement. As I cross the road, I'll run, then remount the bike and continue.

CopperBrompton

As I cross the road, I'll run, then remount the bike and continue.
Ok, so I can see how you might save time if you're just darting through gaps in the traffic. Legal but still annoying, so personally I don't think it's worth it.

Lonestar

Veteran
Why do you run across red lights with your Brompton, if you don't so with a real bike?

The only place I do that sometimes is at Tower Gateway crossing into Tower Gateway street which is a buses only but has been lifted during the road works...Generally the lights don't change for me but I've noticed a circuit on the road.Obviously a great lumbering bus can activate the lights via the circuit.I don't really jump lights or walk across to save time.When I start that 5h1t I will buy a car.
2jg9yz6.jpg

I'd daren't do that 5h1t anyway.The amount of times I've got off the bike and split my Tom Franks shorts has gone into double figures.:whistle:

Last edited:

chris folder

Hi:hello: I remember you bought the orange/black s2l. I seen a bike picture from bike gang I think they do orange brake levers to go on orange bike looks cool. Also Mr ed bought his bike around same time as you not heard anything from him on here since he fell off first time out on it:scratch:

Top Bottom