Enlarged prostate - Experiences from others who suffer and options going forward

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tinywheels

Über Member
Watch the BBC, Its all there.
It's on the news constantly.

the BBC is not a reliable source sir.
It is a government propaganda outlet.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It having been around 4 years since I was last probed, a week or so ago I started the process of getting checked again.
I've no apparent issues but thought it about time for a check up.

Initially, an appointment with my doctor for a quite comprehensive question & answer session, urine test, followed by a KY Jelly coated disposable glove examination where no hardening was discerned.
In a fortnight, I have an appointment with the nurse for bloods, more specific urine testing, BP and general check over.

So far, im quite impressed with the NHS service.

PK99

Legendary Member
The NHS will go with the cheapest option, never mind what you want.
There's 7 million people in the U.K waiting for operations at the moment according to the BBC the other day. I'd just pay if I were you and get the treatment you want. I'm sorry you are going through this it sounds very difficult.

Not so, in my experience.

Two cancers diagnosed in 2 years (CML & Prostate)

Outstanding, best available treatment for both available on NHS with no problems.

I did decide on Private Prostate removal, but not because of any lack of NHS delay or funding, but at the peak of the Junior Doctors and nurses strikes I was not willing to risk delays. I'd have had the same op by the same surgeon to similar timescale had the strikes not been an issue.

I'm back in the HNS system for post-prostate removal clinic support.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
You believe the BBC!
WTF!

I don't think they are going to lie about the amount of people on waiting lists for operations do you? This information is collected by the NHS. Or is everyone totally lying about everything?. Its known generally that the NHS is on its knees and has been for years. I've known people have loads of problems with getting treatment and have sadly died and then the family have then taken legal action .

PK99

Legendary Member
It having been around 4 years since I was last probed, a week or so ago I started the process of getting checked again.
I've no apparent issues but thought it about time for a check up.

Initially, an appointment with my doctor for a quite comprehensive question & answer session, urine test, followed by a KY Jelly coated disposable glove examination where no hardening was discerned.
In a fortnight, I have an appointment with the nurse for bloods, more specific urine testing, BP and general check over.

So far, im quite impressed with the NHS service.

Do not rely on DRE.

I had PSA test on request without DRE.
High = MRI.
Suspect areas identified 60/80% likely cancer= Biopsy
DRE at start of Biopsy reported by consultant Urologist as "Normal"
Locally advanced cancer measured by biopsy

Post op discussion with GP, They are considering ceasing DRE and going direct to PSA as DRE is unreliable.
Post op discussion with Surgeon, he has little confidence in DRE PSA far more reliable/

PK99

Legendary Member
I don't think they are going to lie about the amount of people on waiting lists for operations do you? This information is collected by the NHS. Or is everyone totally lying about everything?. Its known generally that the NHS is on its knees and has been for years. I've known people have loads of problems with getting treatment and have sadly died and then the family have then taken legal action .

My experience and my wife's experience are very different.

Journalists' stock in trade is Bad News, because it sells. Good News is a non event

PeteXXX

Do not rely on DRE.

I had PSA test on request without DRE.
High = MRI.
Suspect areas identified 60/80% likely cancer= Biopsy
DRE at start of Biopsy reported by consultant Urologist as "Normal"
Locally advanced cancer measured by biopsy

Post op discussion with GP, They are considering ceasing DRE and going direct to PSA as DRE is unreliable.
Post op discussion with Surgeon, he has little confidence in DRE PSA far more reliable/

I am only able to go by what my doctor says, though, aren't I?

PK99

Legendary Member
I am only able to go by what my doctor says, though, aren't I?

Prostate Cancer UK

You have the right to a PSA test if you’re over 50 and you’ve thought carefully about the advantages and disadvantages. If you’re black or you have a family history of prostate cancer, this can increase your own risk – so you may want to speak to your GP about having a PSA test from the age of 45.

PeteXXX

Prostate Cancer UK

You have the right to a PSA test if you’re over 50 and you’ve thought carefully about the advantages and disadvantages. If you’re black or you have a family history of prostate cancer, this can increase your own risk – so you may want to speak to your GP about having a PSA test from the age of 45.

I shall ask the nurse if it's a PSA test. Thanks for the information.

tom73

Guru
@PeteXXX Just remember that PSA in isolation is pretty blunt test it's a high level of false results. Hence why it's not used as part of routine screening in the same way cervical screening is.
Only when taken together with medical history and clinical signs is it useful as part of diagnoses.
So a high result without other signs is mostly not time to worry.

PeteXXX

@PeteXXX Just remember that PSA in isolation is pretty blunt test it's a high level of false results. Hence why it's not used as part of routine screening in the same way cervical screening is.
Only when taken together with medical history and clinical signs is it useful as part of diagnoses.

It's a bit of a minefield, isn't it!
The average man in the street (me) can only hope that the medical professionals that poke & prod us know what they're doing and act accordingly.

PK99

Legendary Member

Yes and No.

as I understand it...

PSA test history with stable level identified then change = Gold Standard

Isolated PSA test with result above Age Normal (my case) = Yellow Flag for MRI

Isolated PSA test with very high PSA = Red Flag

Biopsy only follows MRI

All uphill

Still rolling along
Like so many of my contemporaries I have a benign enlarged prostate.

Following my isolated incident of urinary retention and catheterisation in A and E last summer I have a preoperative consultation with the urologist this week.

I've had no more problematic retention and, with a lot of self-advocacy, have got myself trained and equipped to self- catheterise should the need arise. It's great to have that as an option avoiding the need of going to A and E.

I think I'll opt for HOLEP or steam treatment mainly to be able to sleep through the night.

BTW The NHS has been fabulous throughout.

Edit to say reduced meal sizes, regular small drinks, avoiding large fluid intakes, along with the avoidance of long periods sitting seem to be the keys to managing fluid throughput for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom